Ever been stung by a bristleworm?

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short of it is this...

Moving reef last Friday, nailed by bristleworm. Didn’t realize it until 20 minutes later then pulled out the literally hundreds of bristles in my hand. Went back to working on the tank, no antiseptic, no vinegar, etc. Fast forward to today. Hand still slightly burning and there is a rash I can feel when I run my hand across it. It’s not infected, from what I can tell, but the pain is still there.
Anyone had this issue after a week?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short of it is this...

Moving reef last Friday, nailed by bristleworm. Didn’t realize it until 20 minutes later then pulled out the literally hundreds of bristles in my hand. Went back to working on the tank, no antiseptic, no vinegar, etc. Fast forward to today. Hand still slightly burning and there is a rash I can feel when I run my hand across it. It’s not infected, from what I can tell, but the pain is still there.
Anyone had this issue after a week?

Oof.

Sure it wasn't a fireworm?

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been poked more than a few times and it's never been more than a slight annoyance for like 10 minutes. Just like a bee or urchin sting, reactions will vary though. It'll also depend on which species it is too. What happens with a bristle worm sting is actually somewhat similar to an urchin sting. The bristles penetrate the skin then break off inside, causing dermatitis. If you're still experiencing dermatitis then your body likely hasn't completely broken down the bristles yet. I believe that the bristles are made of calcareous material, so you could try putting a rag soaked with vinegar over the area. It may help dissolve the bristles. You could also use a hydrocortisone creme to help with the dermatitis. As long as your symptoms have been getting better since the initial sting, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to be medical advice. Don't be afraid to go see your doctor.

OP
OP
UCF Alum

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been poked more than a few times and it's never been more than a slight annoyance for like 10 minutes. Just like a bee or urchin sting, reactions will vary though. It'll also depend on which species it is too. What happens with a bristle worm sting is actually somewhat similar to an urchin sting. The bristles penetrate the skin then break off inside, causing dermatitis. If you're still experiencing dermatitis then your body likely hasn't completely broken down the bristles yet. I believe that the bristles are made of calcareous material, so you could try putting a rag soaked with vinegar over the area. It may help dissolve the bristles. You could also use a hydrocortisone creme to help with the dermatitis. As long as your symptoms have been getting better since the initial sting, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to be medical advice. Don't be afraid to go see your doctor.

I think you got it right with the dermatitis. It’s somewhat of what I’m experiencing now.

You ever been stung before?

Could be an allergic reaction to them.

Never. First time! I believe it is an allergic reaction

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOT Bristle worm LIONFISH

Back in 1987 young and dumb. running late for work feeding fish (silversides). The last one to eat was Black Edge Moray I'd hand feed him. As I had my hand in tank w/ couple SS in my fingers I got distracted with a phone call. While not watching Mr. EEL approached with Mr. lion in between so he back up right into my finger. yes just like a bee sting. shook it off went to work. 45 mins to 1hr later was a convenient store loading up with the days snacks and passed out a fountain drink machine.
I would guess I was out a good 30 mins. woke up with paramedic loading me on the cart. Off to the Hospital, Dr. said the ticker skipped a few beat. Held me a couple hrs sent me home. The lesson I learned never turn your back on a lionfish :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back