Ever grab the wrong bottle? Sigh…

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m on the winning side of Dino’s so far (LCA). I’m not really sure why but my PO4 has been creeping up, tested again today and it jumped from .06 3 days ago to .11 today. Thinking my GFO may be exhausted, I dosed a some Phosphat-E. So when the lights went out, the last thing I do because of the Dinos is dos peroxide and Microbacter 7. Thinking I grabbed the M7, I grabbed the Phosphat-E after dosing the second cap I realized, due to the cloud, that something was wrong. Well, I put two full caps (10ML) in the display, after dosing 3 MLS an hour earlier. By the math, I think I am going to bottom out. If I start dosing PO4 in the AM, will there be any residual Phosphat-E lingering around that will deplete the PO4 I would be dosing?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I am at the mood to do calculation at this time of the day(or night), but you didn't say what is volume of yourm system.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not that I am at the mood to do calculation at this time of the day(or night), but you didn't say what is volume of yourm system.
135, but I would guess I have about 90-100 gallons of total volume. Interesting that my ORP’s value fell by 86.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m on the winning side of Dino’s so far (LCA). I’m not really sure why but my PO4 has been creeping up, tested again today and it jumped from .06 3 days ago to .11 today. Thinking my GFO may be exhausted, I dosed a some Phosphat-E. So when the lights went out, the last thing I do because of the Dinos is dos peroxide and Microbacter 7. Thinking I grabbed the M7, I grabbed the Phosphat-E after dosing the second cap I realized, due to the cloud, that something was wrong. Well, I put two full caps (10ML) in the display, after dosing 3 MLS an hour earlier. By the math, I think I am going to bottom out. If I start dosing PO4 in the AM, will there be any residual Phosphat-E lingering around that will deplete the PO4 I would be dosing?
Actually 1 cap is 10 ML not 5, my bad.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Uber light bio load due to hitch hiking trigger, which I can’t get out now. 1 clown, purple tang and a undulated trigger that I am getting desperate to get out.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uber light bio load due to hitch hiking trigger, which I can’t get out now. 1 clown, purple tang and a undulated trigger that I am getting desperate to get out.
Lol, how did a trigger sneak into your tank?

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol, how did a trigger sneak into your tank?
If it wasn’t for the fact that I hired someone to move the contents of a tank, I don’t think I would publicly stand behind this story. Previous owner of a old established tank with lots of rock stated they had made a huge mistake several months prior and put a juvenile trigger in her tank, claimed 2-3 inches in size, but that this trigger disappeared many moons ago. So hired person traveled 2 hours and breaks down the tank. All this rock was put in totes, that was barely in any water. The rock was pulled out of the tank and set all over the place, outside of the tank, not all of it in water. Eventually it was all wrangled up, put in totes and took the 2 hour trip. Said rock stayed in totes for a day and then broken down tank was put together again. about 3 days later my wife asked me when I got the new fish, I asked her what new fish. When she went to show me it was gone. I thought she was seeing stuff, perhaps some day drinking while I was shaving away at the office… about a week later, I was like SOB, what the heck is this. Gorgeous fish. Super docile, at first. Then, the goby, well half the goby turned up. Then, the blue tang was never seen again. The clown HAD a mate… this dang trigger has eaten over 100 snails, hermits, etc. in fact it has two areas under rocks that it collects the shells of its dinner. New frags that get put in the tank, go missing… below is my most recent attempt. Sadly, next week I have decided that I will be removing 100% of all coral and rock to get it out. The lack of a fish based clean up crew is killing this tank. The light bioload is also problematic. The the trigger has gotten super aggressive, it will attempt to bite your fingers if you go in certain areas of the tank.

I have a planted FW tank that I inject CO2 in. I had a mishap and put all my fish to sleep (I was able to recover all but one) and this led me to thinking about fading this tank to get it out, but fear of a tank crash induced by a unknown variable by tanking the PH…

Yes, that is what you think I am doing… lol

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Show us pictures of the trigger or it didn't happen :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
1700139134085.jpeg

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your PO4 is ok!

If I make mistakes like that at work (dosing the wrong thing), people die…read those labels and double check the dose before buying the farm

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny you got a hitchhiker trigger. I never grabbed the wrong bottle, but I have definitely messed up when it comes to adding stuff to my tank.

I always struggled with high nitrate and phosphates in my one tank. I decided to try Nopox one time. I completely read the dosing instructions wrong and added 10 times the amount I was supposed to add. My tank got really cloudy, but fortunately none of my fish and corals were affected. Luckily I had plenty of saltwater mixed up so I could do a large water change.

Another time, I was going fallow(treating for ich) in the same tank. I decided to try and add lanthanum chloride (phoshate rx). I was always hesitant since I had tangs in the tank, but since it was fallow I figured I would give it a shot. As I was adding drops to my sump, the cap popped off the bottle and dumped the whole bottle in my tank. Fortunately I was able to kill my return pump right away to keep it all in my sump. Just ended up draining it all out and adding new saltwater.

I always have a batch of saltwater mixed up and ready for use now lol.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For those of you holding Bingo cards, the number is Blue .03, Blue .03. I did dose 1ml of PO4 this AM, but, I think that was just me wanting to feel like I was preventing a complete bottom out, as 1ML of PO4 in 100G, probably won't move the needle. So 23 ML dropped it from .11 to .03 while I added 1ML of PO4.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back