Evo 13.5 Modifications?

Wolvendeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to set up my first reef tank, and have a Fluval Evo XII that I'm going to be using. I intend to keep the stock light for the time being (and only keep softies and some lps), but in other threads I see there are quite a few modifications that people usually make. I have a few questions for other people using the same tank successfully.

Sorry for asking so many questions. Just want to make sure I'm doing things right from the beginning. There seems to be a lot more moving parts compared to what I'm used to with freshwater aquariums.

1. What pump do you replace the stock pump with?
2. Is there any benefit to using the intank media basket over making one out of eggcrate and zip ties?
3. What media do you use in each of the shelves? Based on reading in other threads, it looks like filter floss, chemi pure blue, and bio rings are a good stack.
4. If using chemi pure blue, is there any added benefit in using purigen?
5. If I have budget for adding a micro ato to the tank, is there any reason not to add it?
6. If I'm going to make the tank invert only, is there any reason to quarantine?
7. Beyond the upgrade to the stock pump, should I also get an sw-2 for flow?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What pump do you replace the stock pump with?
2. Is there any benefit to using the intank media basket over making one out of eggcrate and zip ties?
3. What media do you use in each of the shelves? Based on reading in other threads, it looks like filter floss, chemi pure blue, and bio rings are a good stack.
4. If using chemi pure blue, is there any added benefit in using purigen?
5. If I have budget for adding a micro ato to the tank, is there any reason not to add it?
6. If I'm going to make the tank invert only, is there any reason to quarantine?
7. Beyond the upgrade to the stock pump, should I also get an sw-2 for flow?
1. MJ1200 then a Syncra Silent 1.0
2. The water flows through the media basket rather than around. 3D printing is an option too (its what I did)
3. I only use floss and carbon as needed. Some seachem pond matrix in chamber 2
4. Chemi-pure blue is a mix of purigen and carbon (from what I remember).
5. If you keep the lid your evap can be handled manually. I will always use an ATO on an tank cause its easy for me to setup (reef-pi user). No reason not to add except $$$$
6. Hitchhikers on the shells of inverts should be watched for. I don't personally but have found a vermitid on a snail shell and had to toss him.
7. I use a random flow generator (printed) and have no additional powerheads

Happy Reefing! Also, Welcome to R2R!

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I find the stock pump just fine. Its dead quiet and pushes enough water to just go through the AIO. I use the Jebao SW2 as my main flow for the tank.
I just 3D Printed the random flow nozzles for the return. I also 3D printed the 1st chamber basket to use. Does the same thing as the Intake just cost me about $1 in the filament. I would say the egg crate would work but it wouldnt block the flow on the side from the top section so it wouldn't totally pass through the floss and catch all the debris.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the stock pump just fine. Its dead quiet and pushes enough water to just go through the AIO. I use the Jebao SW2 as my main flow for the tank.
I just 3D Printed the random flow nozzles for the return. I also 3D printed the 1st chamber basket to use. Does the same thing as the Intake just cost me about $1 in the filament. I would say the egg crate would work but it wouldnt block the flow on the side from the top section so it wouldn't totally pass through the floss and catch all the debris.
Do you use one larger RFG on the return or two smaller ones? Excellent point on the blocking of the side slits I forgot to mention that.

Also, plugging the hole in the false wall is a good move too.

OP
OP
Wolvendeer

Wolvendeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you guys get the plans for the rfg and media baskets? I've been looking for an excuse to pick up a 3d printer.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thingiverse is my go to for CAD files for printing. I would suggest going for a quality printer as they will eventually have issues and need maintenance. Prusa makes a good printer.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the Ender 3 Pro and it seems to be one of the most popular ones since its pretty cheap and produces good results.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back