Evo 13.5 return pump

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 1.0 in chamber 3 with the intake closed about 50%. It fits nicely but u have to push it a little over the lip that protrudes from chamber 2 into chamber 3 near the bottom. The 1.0 is way too much flow for this tank (even with the intake turned down) so I have a 0.5 on order as recommended by another post in this thread. 1.5 would be insane amount of flow and I suspect nothing would be happy at all.

Regarding the tube: I don’t know if the tube is stock or not as I received the tank with the 1.0 installed from the last guy.

I use the Sicce Syncra 0.5 in my EVO 13.5 and it's been working great. Gotta shimmy it a bit to get past the lip from Chamber 2, but once its past that, it fits fine with some room to spare. I have the adjustable flow open all the way so its running about 185 GPH through. I believe the stock fluval pump was rated at about 130 GPH, but I am not sure I was even getting that from it. I also run a Jebao SW-2 on the W2 setting at the lowest intensity. I just order an Aqamai KPS last night to replace the Jebao since its been flaking out on me recently. I couldn't justify spending $200 (or more) on a used MP10QD that I would always keep at the lowest setting and even then it might still be too much for the tank.

I have the Sicce 1.0 in my tank fully open with a Hydor flow deflector on the output, and a Koralia 425 on the back wall and everything is happy in my tank. Were you getting too much flow before?

If you're interested in my setup: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/michigan-evo-12-13-5-gallons.366050/

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Sicce 1.0 in my tank fully open with a Hydor flow deflector on the output, and a Koralia 425 on the back wall and everything is happy in my tank. Were you getting too much flow before?

If you're interested in my setup: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/michigan-evo-12-13-5-gallons.366050/

Nice tank, I've actually seen your thread a few times, and your homemade media rack picture inspired me to build my own rack for chamber 2.

It looks like that hydor flow deflector you are using has is a large enough bore/output size and the water flow output isn't as much of a jet, but more of a pour. Maybe that is why you are not experiencing way too much flow with the Sicce 1.0 like I did. I originally had the Sicce 1.0 in there with the stock loc-line returns (the small loc line with Y that goes out into a flare). With that setup, it is nothing sort of a hurricane in the tank as far as flow is concerned. I did switch to the larger loc-line and one of those 3D printed Random flow generators, which improved things a lot, but I still think the flow is way too much for the tank (even with the intake on the Sicce turned down to about 50%). I do have quite a bit more rock and corals in my tank than yours, so maybe that is contributing to my experience as well. For now, I'm anxious to try the Sicce 0.5 as I believe it will be much more appropriate flow for this size tank...

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I did switch to the larger loc-line and one of those 3D printed Random flow generators, which improved things a lot, but I still think the flow is way too much for the tank (even with the intake on the Sicce turned down to about 50%).”

Are you using the VCA random flow generator - https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-spotlight/random-flow-generator/. What did you use to connect this to loc-line/bulkhead? I was gifted one of these but haven’t gotten around to connecting it because I don’t have he right pieces yet.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I did switch to the larger loc-line and one of those 3D printed Random flow generators, which improved things a lot, but I still think the flow is way too much for the tank (even with the intake on the Sicce turned down to about 50%).”

Are you using the VCA random flow generator - https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-spotlight/random-flow-generator/. What did you use to connect this to loc-line/bulkhead? I was gifted one of these but haven’t gotten around to connecting it because I don’t have he right pieces yet.

I like the look of that better than my Hydor - the slight "splashing" sound I get [while i've gotten used to ti] annoys me. I'd be interested in how it's connected to the output as well! @dhof

Nice tank, I've actually seen your thread a few times, and your homemade media rack picture inspired me to build my own rack for chamber 2.

It looks like that hydor flow deflector you are using has is a large enough bore/output size and the water flow output isn't as much of a jet, but more of a pour. Maybe that is why you are not experiencing way too much flow with the Sicce 1.0 like I did. I originally had the Sicce 1.0 in there with the stock loc-line returns (the small loc line with Y that goes out into a flare). With that setup, it is nothing sort of a hurricane in the tank as far as flow is concerned. I did switch to the larger loc-line and one of those 3D printed Random flow generators, which improved things a lot, but I still think the flow is way too much for the tank (even with the intake on the Sicce turned down to about 50%). I do have quite a bit more rock and corals in my tank than yours, so maybe that is contributing to my experience as well. For now, I'm anxious to try the Sicce 0.5 as I believe it will be much more appropriate flow for this size tank...

That's the ugliest media basket ever made! Butt [lol] it does work!

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah that is the 3D printed random flow generator I am using. The stock fluval return comes into the tank as 1/2”loc line I think. I put 2 more 1/2 loc line pieces on that and then just snapped the 3D printed rfg onto the end. I think u could just skip the 2 extra pieces and snap the 3D thing onto the fluval loc line piece but u wouldn’t be able to point it much.

FWIW note that snapping and unsnapping loc line is far easier to do outside of the tank on the floor, rather than making all these connections individually inside the tank. I usually disassemble and reassemble all but the 1 final connection outside of the tank.

Gaz uk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sicce 0.5 came today, wow what a difference to the stock pump, got shot of that annoying buzzing sound that the evo came with, more than enough flow, i also put a reef tide compact in running on lowest setting 40% maybe overkill.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sicce 0.5 came today, wow what a difference to the stock pump, got shot of that annoying buzzing sound that the evo came with, more than enough flow, i also put a reef tide compact in running on lowest setting 40% maybe overkill.
I also installed my Sicce 0.5 this past weekend. The flow (compared to the 1.0) is absolutely perfect for the fluval 13.5 evo. I would highly recommend future evo users steer clear of the 1.0 as it is way too much flow and the 0.5 is ideal. I can notice a lot more courage from my fish to swim to various areas of the tank that they really hadn't been to before because the flow on the 1.0 was too high.

Gaz uk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to take out the tmc reef tide compact low pump, even on it's lowest setting(40%) was far to strong for this tank, plus i was a getting really bad salt creep around the lid since i started using it, would just the twin nozzle and the sicce 0.5 be enough flow for this tank, just going softy and lps.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is the 3D printed random flow generator I am using. The stock fluval return comes into the tank as 1/2”loc line I think. I put 2 more 1/2 loc line pieces on that and then just snapped the 3D printed rfg onto the end. I think u could just skip the 2 extra pieces and snap the 3D thing onto the fluval loc line piece but u wouldn’t be able to point it much.

FWIW note that snapping and unsnapping loc line is far easier to do outside of the tank on the floor, rather than making all these connections individually inside the tank. I usually disassemble and reassemble all but the 1 final connection outside of the tank.

In your video (Below - 6:00), it looks like you only have 1 return nozzle now? 1 of the Random Flow Generators? Is that correct?
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/12in-random-flow-generator-rfg050/

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your video (Below - 6:00), it looks like you only have 1 return nozzle now? 1 of the Random Flow Generators? Is that correct?
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/12in-random-flow-generator-rfg050/

Yes, I'm running the tank with a Sicce 0.5 outputting to a single Random Flow Generator like the one you linked. That produces flow across the tank from the sump side to the glass side. I've got the Aqamai wavemaker in the back going from the glass side toward the sump side. My Aqamai is set to max flow rate of 20%. When I first clean the pumps and the Aqamai, the flow is even a bit strong, but that resolves after a week of getting gunked up a bit.

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm running the tank with a Sicce 0.5 outputting to a single Random Flow Generator like the one you linked. That produces flow across the tank from the sump side to the glass side. I've got the Aqamai wavemaker in the back going from the glass side toward the sump side. My Aqamai is set to max flow rate of 20%. When I first clean the pumps and the Aqamai, the flow is even a bit strong, but that resolves after a week of getting gunked up a bit.

Thanks! I think I’m gonna do that also. Appreciate the info.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think I’m gonna do that also. Appreciate the info.

I had originally used the small "Y" output nozzles that came with the Fluval Evo. There just always seemed to be way too much flow, but honestly that was when I was using Sicce 1.0 pump (which may have been the real issue). My fish always hid out of sight, and my torch corals and xenia always seemed to be pushed the singular direction of the flow coming from the return with the Fluval "Y". Pretty much anything I did with those small nozzles had a serious jet of water that the fish and corals didn't like. I swear I didn't even see my firefish until I had her for 2 months.

I got the RFG nozzle, and put it directly on the ball joint return ouput that fluval has (the thing the Y adapter plugs into), and that worked fine, but I had to keep the water level pretty high or it would suck in air from the top. I ended up putting in 1 of those snake extension connection pieces onto the fluval ball joint return output, and I put the RFG onto that 1 extension piece (pic below if that makes better sense). This allowed me to lower the RFG just enough that I really don't have any sucking in of the air from the top.

At the same time as I put the RFG on, I downgraded the pump to the Sicce 0.5 (which I believe is the correct pump for this tank, but it is also a bit much at times). The "Random" flow part of it is just awesome. I can see the streams of water hitting things in the middle of the tank, and then the next second hitting things by the glass. So, that works really really well in my opinion. My measure of "success' is that my indo torch coral now waves back and forth from left-to-right, front-to-back, and generally just looks happier than snot with the flow massaging it around in all sorts of directions. Without the RFG, this same torch basically pointed in the same direction all the time.

RFG.JPG

24KGold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How critical do y’all think the small half wall is between the return pump chamber and second chamber? I want to be able to put a DC return pump for controllability. I can’t imagine it’s super critical but before I cut it out figured I would ask. Haha.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had originally used the small "Y" output nozzles that came with the Fluval Evo. There just always seemed to be way too much flow, but honestly that was when I was using Sicce 1.0 pump (which may have been the real issue). My fish always hid out of sight, and my torch corals and xenia always seemed to be pushed the singular direction of the flow coming from the return with the Fluval "Y". Pretty much anything I did with those small nozzles had a serious jet of water that the fish and corals didn't like. I swear I didn't even see my firefish until I had her for 2 months.

I got the RFG nozzle, and put it directly on the ball joint return ouput that fluval has (the thing the Y adapter plugs into), and that worked fine, but I had to keep the water level pretty high or it would suck in air from the top. I ended up putting in 1 of those snake extension connection pieces onto the fluval ball joint return output, and I put the RFG onto that 1 extension piece (pic below if that makes better sense). This allowed me to lower the RFG just enough that I really don't have any sucking in of the air from the top.

At the same time as I put the RFG on, I downgraded the pump to the Sicce 0.5 (which I believe is the correct pump for this tank, but it is also a bit much at times). The "Random" flow part of it is just awesome. I can see the streams of water hitting things in the middle of the tank, and then the next second hitting things by the glass. So, that works really really well in my opinion. My measure of "success' is that my indo torch coral now waves back and forth from left-to-right, front-to-back, and generally just looks happier than snot with the flow massaging it around in all sorts of directions. Without the RFG, this same torch basically pointed in the same direction all the time.

RFG.JPG
Great use of the RFG - and great looking setup. I stumbled across this thread today with your video and just wanted to say thank you for sharing :)

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great use of the RFG - and great looking setup. I stumbled across this thread today with your video and just wanted to say thank you for sharing :)
Thanks for taking the time to compliment. I'm super proud of the Fluval 13.5 I made. It is still going very well, but the corals are just growing like crazy and I'm starting to have coral warfare. I'm in process of building a 40G breeder to transfer everything over to it.

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How critical do y’all think the small half wall is between the return pump chamber and second chamber? I want to be able to put a DC return pump for controllability. I can’t imagine it’s super critical but before I cut it out figured I would ask. Haha.
I'm no expert, but practically speaking I don't think that small half wall (at the bottom between chamber 2 and 3) is very important. I have always keep biomax in that space, which I think is better use for the space than going through all the trouble to remove that section just to get DC controllability. I really don't think removing that small half wall would cause much harm.

STPreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I put a refugium in Chamber 2, so there really wasn't any room for carbon/GFO since did want to keep my protein skimmer in Chamber 1. That's really the reason for the external media reactor (it's not really necessary, but frees up some space). I'll have to figure out a way to take a picture some time of Chamber 3, but I'm pretty sure there isn't even a spare mm or 2 anymore. I'm sure if Neptune releases the Trident I'll figure some way to fit it :)

I'm really only 2 months into my build, but I have a fair amount of corals and another 3 fish coming out of QT this week. Here's a current pic.
Aqauarium Picture.jpg
What type of coral is in the front left corner? Awesome build man I am upgrading my 13.5 right now

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of coral is in the front left corner? Awesome build man I am upgrading my 13.5 right now
That’s an Indonesian gold torch which was expensive even back before the Indo export ban, so now in the ban they are impossibly expensive. Mine died after I moved everything to a bigger tank so I can’t wait to get another when the ban eventually lifts.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back