Examples using extension tubes

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd post some pics I took tonight messing with my new extension tube set. First, I don't mean to come off like I know what the heck I'm doing. I've read some other posts on extension tubes and it didn't really sink in until I started playing. The thing I'm understanding now is that extension tubes don't bring a subject closer (like a zoom), but they allow you to bring the lens closer to the subject and still be able to focus. This subject is a fan thingy (technical term) growing out of my Banana Boom Chalice. It's maybe 3" past the front glass of my tank. What I did was see how close I could get and still focus using
1- My 100 mm Macro lens
fan by Peter Young, on Flickr

2- same lens with 12 mm extension tube
fan12mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

3-now with 20 mm extension tube
fan20mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

4- 36 mm extension tube
fan36mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

5- and finally all 3 extension tubes stacked.
fan12+20+3636mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

Just thought I'd give a visual for anyone interested or who thought about using them. They allow for much finer shots of close up, if the subject is in reach. Doesn't help you get close ups of that sweet coral at the back of the tank, but useful for close up stuff. All these shots were using the same set up, ISO 400, F13

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture is an absolute piece of art if you ask me! Does anyone else see the Angler Fish?? Almost looks like a morph of a Chalice into the fish. Awesome shot!

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd post some pics I took tonight messing with my new extension tube set. First, I don't mean to come off like I know what the heck I'm doing. I've read some other posts on extension tubes and it didn't really sink in until I started playing. The thing I'm understanding now is that extension tubes don't bring a subject closer (like a zoom), but they allow you to bring the lens closer to the subject and still be able to focus. This subject is a fan thingy (technical term) growing out of my Banana Boom Chalice. It's maybe 3" past the front glass of my tank. What I did was see how close I could get and still focus using
1- My 100 mm Macro lens
fan by Peter Young, on Flickr

2- same lens with 12 mm extension tube
fan12mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

3-now with 20 mm extension tube
fan20mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

4- 36 mm extension tube
fan36mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

5- and finally all 3 extension tubes stacked.
fan12+20+3636mm by Peter Young, on Flickr

Just thought I'd give a visual for anyone interested or who thought about using them. They allow for much finer shots of close up, if the subject is in reach. Doesn't help you get close ups of that sweet coral at the back of the tank, but useful for close up stuff. All these shots were using the same set up, ISO 400, F13

Where did you get your extension tube kit if you don't mind me asking? Im in the market for a set and found some on Amazon with decent reviews.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your extension tube kit if you don't mind me asking? Im in the market for a set and found some on Amazon with decent reviews.
Got mine from Adorama. I ended up with the Kenko kit. It was a little more expensive, but has all the electrical connections for the lens. Very sturdy.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree
Rev, was great meeting you at the WWC coral farm. This is one of the posts I was talking about. Thanks for all you do, and the great service this community provides.

Peter Young

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back