OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump is fine. It's just different than what you may be used to seeing.

If your leaving the fish why are you taking out the nems?
If they were going to be a problem, they would be dead already.

They are using tap water I assume, Just by looking at it.
They actually use RO. I'll ask when the filters were replaced

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alkalinity read at 7.7 today... These lights suck! everyday they randomly turn off, and I have to turn the bulb to turn it back on. Anyone know why that happens?

Invisinak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alkalinity read at 7.7 today... These lights suck! everyday they randomly turn off, and I have to turn the bulb to turn it back on. Anyone know why that happens?

First post here lol but I would say there are a few issues it could be.

You may also want to check the connections for salt creep. It is pretty easy to take care of that so I would check that first. Just unplug the fixture, pull the bulbs out, and give it a once over. If salt is the issue you can use isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol above 90%) to clean it off quickly. It's also evaporates quickly as well and is generally safe to use on electronics . Just give it a couple minutes to fully evaporate for your safety.

It could be that your bulb is just dying because it's old. If it's not salt creep you should look up how much a replacement bulb is and try that.

Lastly it could be a ballast issue. If it's a ballast issue you can replace them depending on the fixtures and how comfortable you are working with electronics but there are some dangers if you aren't careful. Just look up a few guides and see if it's something you're willing to do. If you're not comfortable with it then it's not worth doing when it comes to electricity.

Edit: also, if you know what the model of the fixture is it'll also help to fix the issue.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may also want to check the connections for salt creep. It is pretty easy to take care of that so I would check that first. Just unplug the fixture, pull the bulbs out, and give it a once over. If salt is the issue you can use isopropyl alcohol(rubbing alcohol above 90%) to clean it off quickly. It's also evaporates quickly as well and is generally safe to use on electronics . Just give it a couple minutes to fully evaporate for your safety.

It could be that your bulb is just dying because it's old. If it's not salt creep you should look up how much a replacement bulb is and try that.

Lastly it could be a ballast issue. If it's a ballast issue you can replace them depending on the fixtures and how comfortable you are working with electronics but there are some dangers if you aren't careful. Just look up a few guides and see if it's something you're willing to do. If you're not comfortable with it then it's not worth doing when it comes to electricity.

Edit: also, if you know what the model of the fixture is it'll also help to fix the issue.

Welcome @Invisinak!
16c29a60841a7d2f14da86e2ae21239a.jpg

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i just wanted to give you all a small update (pics to come soon).
GHA is still coming strong, but i think a yellow tang or something would help little bit; he only has 2 large clownfish in there and a fire shrimp... SO not benefit coming from his fish. GOT A NEW POWEHEAED THAT WAS DONATED :)

Seems like this tripled the amount of flow in the tank hahaha, but still needs some help in that regard.

ANyone know where to get some test kits for cheap? having trouble spending over 100 on test kits :(

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i just wanted to give you all a small update (pics to come soon).
GHA is still coming strong, but i think a yellow tang or something would help little bit; he only has 2 large clownfish in there and a fire shrimp... SO not benefit coming from his fish. GOT A NEW POWEHEAED THAT WAS DONATED :)

Seems like this tripled the amount of flow in the tank hahaha, but still needs some help in that regard.

ANyone know where to get some test kits for cheap? having trouble spending over 100 on test kits :(
Cool news!

Get the API master test kit. Looks like it's $25 on amazon right now.
https://www.amazon.com/API-Reef-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B001D6Z7QW

And yes, API is fine.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone: sorry its been so long since ive done an update!!! Pics to come next week :) GHA is still coming strong, and still no test kit :( Ive been asked to write a grant to the school asking for money for ALL things needed this year. trying to stay under 350-400 for everything. I really wanna set up a refugium, and maybe a dosing system (but I think it may be sorta pointless considering ill only have softies). We def will need more powerheads, and some new filter media. Anyone else have some idea of what to buy to get this tank self sustaining? its alone ALL summer break long :(

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always put a lot of faces in my messages lol sorry if its annoying to some :p

OP
OP
Joshua Hurst

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

its an aquatic life t5 2 bulb fixture. That's all I can find on it

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is the tank coming along? Any items you still need?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back