Expert-Only Pipefish?

TSM Aquatics
Budmans

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Why are only some pipes on Live Aquaria marked as expert only? Is it just because they don't ship well? The expert only ones seem to have the same requirements of care as the non-expert pipes (like the dragonface). I'm wanting either Janss or Blueline but both are marked expert only which makes me worried that it may be a bad choice. Can someone please explain to me why those two are expert only but some of the other pipefish are not? Thanks!
In my experience, dragonface pipefish are far more difficult to feed than bluestripe pipefish who generally accept frozen food quickly.
The issue is more the condition in which these fish arrive at the wholesalers. Bluestripe and Janssi pipefish often come in with bad bacterial infections and severely malnourished due to improper treatment at the collectors and exporters. Getting them back to health and interested in eating requires a lot of work and still has a very poor success rate.
But if you get healthy specimens they are pretty easy to care for.
So in my opinion this whole "expert only" thing is nothing more than a way to weasel their out of taking responsibility for shipping you fish that shouldn't have been shipped in the first place.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
I have had a dragonface pipefish that has been kicking for over 2 years now. I have had a large nem and elegance in the tank for the entire time without any problems. It did work its way into a filter sock a long time ago, but once I put it back into the DT, it was back swimming around. I have pods in the system, but honestly have never had an issue. I was surprised to see its "expert only."

OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have had a dragonface pipefish that has been kicking for over 2 years now. I have had a large nem and elegance in the tank for the entire time without any problems. It did work its way into a filter sock a long time ago, but once I put it back into the DT, it was back swimming around. I have pods in the system, but honestly have never had an issue. I was surprised to see its "expert only."
Sounds great! I’m kinda nervous now, I saw some bluestripes in person and they are TINY

OP
footgal

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
For tiny ones you should culture Tigriopus or, at a very minimum, set up a brine shrimp hatchery.
Yeah, the problem is that I’m gone on the weekends. I’m looking into finding a doser and can dose phyto and pods/brine/rotifers or something into the tank so i know they’ll be okay without me for 2 days or even a week if I go on vacation.

The owner swore up and down that those were full grown pipefish, but they were so small I’d be afraid of crushing one accidentally with the flipper!

TSM Aquatics

Would you ever consider setting up a "dropoff" reef aquarium?

• I already have a dropoff tank. Yay me!

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Yes I would like to set one up in the future.

Votes: 171 47.2%
  • No (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 155 42.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 5.2%
Deltec