Explain my my monti encrusting

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my sunset monti. It is encrusting. My question is will it keep getting “thicker” and chunkier or does it just encrust ? It has hit the bottom of the frag plug and hasn’t really encrusted more. Do I need to cut the plug and place it on a rock to encrust or will it grow thicker. Thank you.

05AA6530-3B7B-4782-9562-6DC3954818AB.jpeg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my sunset monti. It is encrusting. My question is will it keep getting “thicker” and chunkier or does it just encrust ? It has hit the bottom of the frag plug and hasn’t really encrusted more. Do I need to cut the plug and place it on a rock to encrust or will it grow thicker. Thank you.

05AA6530-3B7B-4782-9562-6DC3954818AB.jpeg
It can grow to cover the plug or you could trim the plug so it would reach the rocks faster.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It encrusts. If you want it to encrust over a flat surface you must put it over a flat surface.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It can grow to cover the plug or you could trim the plug so it would reach the rocks faster.
Thank you I was trying to avoid it spreading so I could put other corrals on that rock and was hoping it would just get thicker. I guess I’ll designate that whole rock for it.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the lack of light under the part of the plug that is shaded if that makes sense doesn’t prevent the monti from eventually encrusting in that shaded area ?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I was trying to avoid it spreading so I could put other corrals on that rock and was hoping it would just get thicker. I guess I’ll designate that whole rock for it.
What other corals were you thinking about?

Montipora aren't particularly aggressive - and a lot of corals will just grow right over/kill spots to grow on.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What other corals were you thinking about?

Montipora aren't particularly aggressive - and a lot of corals will just grow right over/kill spots to grow on.
I was thinking about a type of Euphyllia. You kinda answered another question I had that if something were to sting for example a monti / gsp does it fully kill it or just that portion ?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about a type of Euphyllia. You kinda answered another question I had that if something were to sting for example a monti / gsp does it fully kill it or just that portion ?
It depends on what is doing the stinging. Some corals will just kill stuff where it's in their way - other stuff -like hydnophora - will basically send out a ton of messenterial filaments and eat as much of the other coral as they can get to.

It's been a while since I've kept any euphyllia - don't remember if theyre actively aggressive.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back