Extension Cords to reach Apex EB832?

Pelagic One

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings Everyone! In setting up my Apex display in a side cabinet, I am finding various components (e.g. skimmer) are unable to reach the EB832. So is it okay to use short extension cords? I’ve got GFCI and am practicing safe water drip loops.

I know this seems rather common-sense, but I just want to make sure I’m not causing any issues with my first-ever Apex setup. More questions to follow, I’m sure.

Thanks, in advance, for your response!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got GFCI and am practicing safe water drip loops.
Make sure you put a drip loop where the extension cord and the equipment plug together. You don't want any water getting into that connection.

jml1149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tore down my 29g tank two years ago, it had been running for two years at the time. I was surprised to see how much corrosion and tarnishing I found on plugs that were in the vicinity of, but not subject to salt water. I don't know if this would have lead to anything further, but still. I had drip loops, etc. I think it was just from condensation, however small.

When I set up my current 120, I used these on literally every plug I have, and on plug covers for my EB8's:

https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Gaskets-Outdoor-Electrical-Connections/dp/B00ZE3FP6C

Two years in, my plugs look PRISTINE. I highly recommend using these, especially with extension cords.

Also, with extension cords, you should be able to visually inspect the junction every once in a while, so try and locate it where you can see it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tore down my 29g tank two years ago, it had been running for two years at the time. I was surprised to see how much corrosion and tarnishing I found on plugs that were in the vicinity of, but not subject to salt water. I don't know if this would have lead to anything further, but still. I had drip loops, etc. I think it was just from condensation, however small.

When I set up my current 120, I used these on literally every plug I have, and on plug covers for my EB8's:

https://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-Gaskets-Outdoor-Electrical-Connections/dp/B00ZE3FP6C

Two years in, my plugs look PRISTINE. I highly recommend using these, especially with extension cords.

Also, with extension cords, you should be able to visually inspect the junction every once in a while, so try and locate it where you can see it.
Intersting product! I'm curious how well it works.

In the past I've used this silicone grease to make water safe connections.
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z273554?lang=en&region=US

These gaskets would be much less messy if they work well!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back