external overflow question

gstene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced HOB overflow box that has two drains that a derby system could be set up with? I've only seen one out there, but it was like $250. Surprised it isn't a common item. I'm looking for something like this, but just uses the over the tank siphon method:
1675136962824.png

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced HOB overflow box that has two drains that a derby system could be set up with? I've only seen one out there, but it was like $250. Surprised it isn't a common item. I'm looking for something like this, but just uses the over the tank siphon method:
1675136962824.png
You could probably make it work with the eshopps pf1200.
Screenshot_20230130_200339_Brave.jpg

spawn79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've probably checked but there are a few on BRS I think. CPR and Eshopps are the main brands on most sites. You can also check out aliexpress for cheaper options as I've seen some come up in random searches I've done.
HOB's aren't super in demand anymore as there are so many companies with premade reef tanks these days so people go with the easier option instead of drilling themselves or HOB.
Just know, in case you didn't already, that there is a much higher chance of water on the floor or a burned out pump (or both) with these if the siphon breaks or pump quits.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just know, in case you didn't already, that there is a much higher chance of water on the floor or a burned out pump (or both) with these if the siphon breaks or pump quits.

I’m curious what people’s experiences of this are. I’ve been running a Lifereef HOB for about 4 months and haven’t seen a single bubble in the siphon, not even when running the pump on minimum power for a few days (approx 50GPH).

To mitigate the risk of overflow though the sump can/should be set up with the pump in a baffled off compartment so even if the siphon breaks there’s just not enough water available to the pump to cause an overflow. You’ll still probably lose the pump… but that’s gonna be small potatoes compared to water damage.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious what people’s experiences of this are. I’ve been running a Lifereef HOB for about 4 months and haven’t seen a single bubble in the siphon, not even when running the pump on minimum power for a few days (approx 50GPH).

To mitigate the risk of overflow though the sump can/should be set up with the pump in a baffled off compartment so even if the siphon breaks there’s just not enough water available to the pump to cause an overflow. You’ll still probably lose the pump… but that’s gonna be small potatoes compared to water damage.
I ran an eshopps pf300 single drain for over 5 years with the standard U tube siphon.
Never ever had an issue. it always restarted the siphon after power went out. The 1" pvc drain never clogged and ive had multiple fish make it through the weir and into the tube. Dont ask how.....i dont even know.

If you position your weir and returns right, the bubbles that make it through the weir from the tank will never be large enough to break the siphon. The siphon they create is VERY strong and you can feel this when removing the tube for cleaning.
Ive actually pulled the tube out of the water for a split second and placed it back in and the siphon grabbed back hold.
A testiment to its simplicty and reliability.

I like the dual drain for the purpose of redundancy though.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hang on overflows like the eshopps ones are ok, not great. There's not a way to set up a air pump without modifying the tubes.

The main thing with these is getting a constant and faster flow through them. Slower flow is when the bubbles form and get trapped, stopping the siphon.

I used one. Power went off when I wasnt home. It flooded the tank because the siphon didn't restart. Never again

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hang on overflows like the eshopps ones are ok, not great. There's not a way to set up a air pump without modifying the tubes.

The main thing with these is getting a constant and faster flow through them. Slower flow is when the bubbles form and get trapped, stopping the siphon.

I used one. Power went off when I wasnt home. It flooded the tank because the siphon didn't restart. Never again
Yea i understand your feeling due to your experience but theres not much that could have went wrong if it was installed correctly. I never experienced low flow, small bubbles or power outages breaking a siphon on mine. I did however have hair algae growing in the tube when it was new and it slowed the flow down a lot.
Lifereef sells black tubes i think. I just threw a rag over it until the coraline got thick enough.

OP
OP
G

gstene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to put this out there. For anyone looking for the same thing as me. the undrilled HOB overflows can be modified for a second drain. Another hole can just be drilled in the side of the overflow to set up a derby system. Just buy another bulkhead and plumb it up - that's it really. A fellow reefer on here was talking to me about it, so shout out to him. Hope it makes sense. Easy to do and does exactly what I want.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back