Extra! Extra! What do you do with that “extra” fish?

What do you do with that “extra” fish?

• Give it away

Votes: 56 12.3%
  • Take it to the fish store

Votes: 80 17.6%
  • Move it to the sump

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Use it as an excuse to add another tank

Votes: 91 20.0%
  • There is no such thing as an “extra” fish

Votes: 190 41.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Ok, so there’s not really any big news here - just a question about your approach to “extra” fish. You know, the one that showed up. Maybe it was given to you, or it looked lonely at the fish store, or it was part of a pair or a group and now you only have one left. Do you give it away, take it to the fish store, move it to the sump, add another tank, or just revise your plan and build around it? Maybe the fish is kind of a “third wheel” (or should it be “third fin”?), it was not part of the master plan, or you firmly believe that there is no such thing as an extra fish. Please share your thoughts in the discussion about what to do with extra fish.

MarounC_Clownfish.jpeg

Photo by Maroun.C

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting question. There should be "no such thing as an extra fish" if you research your purchases and have a solid plan in place.

Public aquariums use what is called in ICP (Institutional Collection Plan) to minimize surplus or unwanted fish. Still, even that process can fail. One aquarium bought a huge school of gold bar jacks. They looked great until they all grew up to 3' long and they had to move them out.

Jay

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
move to sump! it’ll help my chaeto grow!

or trade in to my LFS for state credit(haven’t done this, not sure they do this). i do bring in my chaeto though for credit

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been in the position to have "extra fish" before and viewing them as legit "pets" make it much harder to part with them. But for the overall health of fish takes priority and for me an extra tank isn't the best way. Sooooo I choose to give it away to a local who can be trusted to take care of it. If there isn't someone then I move to another plan.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toilet GIF

What extra fish? If you don't have room don't buy it. If you must though. Try to re-home or donate back to your lfs before buying another one. I'm not the type to love my fish. I have dogs for that. But they are "pets" and you should think it through before adding anything to your tanks especially if you have stability and rarely lose a fish. I know some people who will buy 3 hoping 1 survives.

Trevor Paden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always only taken what I knew I wanted. However, I did run into an issue where 1 of my 5 parrot cichlids was so aggressive he would stress the whole tank out. Removed him and no more issues. I gave him to my LFS and told them I didn't want credit just for him to go to a knowledgeable home.

His name was grandpa btw

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If for some reason the extra fish doesn't work out...aggression issues, etc. Rehoming or back to the LFS if accepted.

I had a dottyback not work out in a lightly stocked tank, became aggressive with my well established mandarin.....out came the tiny fishhooks and went to a friend's tank.

PaPaWicked85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started out with Freshwater I had "extra fish" a LOT. I was young and didn't know anyone in the fishkeeping world, so I lost a lot of fish in those days. Learned from it (mostly) and got better at keeping them, but still had those "gotta have it" impulses and started using them as an excuse for new tanks. I wound up with about 8 tanks of varying sizes and then liquidated everything for a good many years. I don't get many "extra" fish these days, I've grown wiser. But if I do, I typically get a new setup and try to give them a fabulous home!

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dealing with that right now! I have a beautiful pair of personifier angel fish that I just had to have. They are alone in a 55g and happy as can be BUT we all know that they will outgrow that tank rather quickly. I have a 625g & 240g that are at capacity….I have fallen in love with my Personifier pair and although originally raised them to sell, just cant do it….dilemmas…dilemmas…( pardon the touch of cloudiness as glass needs cleaning)

67FF48E8-2B0D-477C-BF20-826832F830C5.jpeg C829E849-0FFE-4E5F-9DA1-18DDE2C3D8D5.jpeg A3023895-57D1-4864-8FAB-EC7D0B70C1EC.jpeg

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell or give them away.

A local just broke down their tank and I purchased all the live stock as a package. There are fish and corals I dont want so after quarantine is done Ill offer them up for sale.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As many know, I just bought a huge coral lot and it came with a mated big pair of clowns and a coral beauty close to 4" - the biggest coral beauty ive seen and I already have a coral beauty so i gave it away to someone on the way home.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the definition of an extra fish. Is it just an extra fish that you don't like or is it a problem fish? If the fish is harming other inhabitants of the tank then returning is the most ethical thing to do.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never come across such an event in my 20 years in the hobby. Don't know of this Extra fish. The closest I have come to that would be another reefer a city over asking if I would be interested in a free fish. I said no.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stocking plan allows for 'extra fish' in case of community emergency.

You bring me a fish, you better bring me enough food for it until you take it back home though.

IsaacHunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Ok, so there’s not really any big news here - just a question about your approach to “extra” fish. You know, the one that showed up. Maybe it was given to you, or it looked lonely at the fish store, or it was part of a pair or a group and now you only have one left. Do you give it away, take it to the fish store, move it to the sump, add another tank, or just revise your plan and build around it? Maybe the fish is kind of a “third wheel” (or should it be “third fin”?), it was not part of the master plan, or you firmly believe that there is no such thing as an extra fish. Please share your thoughts in the discussion about what to do with extra fish.

MarounC_Clownfish.jpeg

Photo by Maroun.C
If the extra fish resembled the thing in the photo it would become part of a predators Healthy diet.
Messing with gods own designs is sacrilege

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MarounC_Clownfish.jpeg

Photo by Maroun.C
I would say there is no 'extra fish' - unless the store made a mistake and put in a moray eel in with your order. In which case - I would ask them - if they want it back. If there is a 'bully fish' - I would return it to the LFS for credit - or offer it for sale. Otherwise - why would a fish be 'extra'? (Rhetorical question)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m dealing with that right now! I have a beautiful pair of personifier angel fish that I just had to have. They are alone in a 55g and happy as can be BUT we all know that they will outgrow that tank rather quickly. I have a 625g & 240g that are at capacity….I have fallen in love with my Personifier pair and although originally raised them to sell, just cant do it….dilemmas…dilemmas…( pardon the touch of cloudiness as glass needs cleaning)

67FF48E8-2B0D-477C-BF20-826832F830C5.jpeg C829E849-0FFE-4E5F-9DA1-18DDE2C3D8D5.jpeg A3023895-57D1-4864-8FAB-EC7D0B70C1EC.jpeg
I might consider following your original plan.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will need to make some tough choices as there are other fish in the 625g I like less than this beautiful pair.
Well the other question is why they wouldn't fit in the 625 gallon - fish migrate in and out of areas all the time. Perhaps you're overthinking? If not - follow your individual plan IMHO:)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back