Extra! Extra! What do you do with that “extra” fish?

What do you do with that “extra” fish?

• Give it away

Votes: 56 12.3%
  • Take it to the fish store

Votes: 80 17.6%
  • Move it to the sump

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Use it as an excuse to add another tank

Votes: 91 20.0%
  • There is no such thing as an “extra” fish

Votes: 190 41.9%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.0%

• Total voters

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A0128751-82E8-4391-B58C-55ACE24FE415.gif
79CA4FF7-3C01-4342-8A8A-16538592A42C.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra! Extra! What do you do with that “extra” fish?

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Ok, so there’s not really any big news here - just a question about your approach to “extra” fish. You know, the one that showed up. Maybe it was given to you, or it looked lonely at the fish store, or it was part of a pair or a group and now you only have one left. Do you give it away, take it to the fish store, move it to the sump, add another tank, or just revise your plan and build around it? Maybe the fish is kind of a “third wheel” (or should it be “third fin”?), it was not part of the master plan, or you firmly believe that there is no such thing as an extra fish. Please share your thoughts in the discussion about what to do with extra fish.

MarounC_Clownfish.jpeg

Photo by Maroun.C
I justed posted on a local forum asking folks to consider dumping their extra tangs in my tangless tank that has started to grow Ulva. People have seemed confused, but what I am hoping is that someone with two tangs that are fighting will solve that battle by giving, or selling me the extra fish. I don't want to import another fish when every so often a problem, extra fish has to go back the the LFS. The stress of going back to the LFS (and their community tanks) has killed a lot of fish in my experience.

Of course I am hoping someone with a Gem tang, or an Achilles tang will call me and ask if they can deliver it to me, right away, but I am ok with a Long Nose Black tang or any other algae eater (that isn't sick with the plague.)

I'll probably just purchase one when I see a good specimen, but I can let the ulva grow a bit more and see if I can adopt an extra fish.
Free Willy GIF by Design Museum Gent

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are my pets, there are no extras. I don’t believe anyone in my immediate network would care for them as well as I do, even the reef damsels that constantly bite me. Most of my guys have been with me a long time through 4 tank upgrades, 32g 60g 120g and have earned their place in the current 240g.

When the gf brought home 3 clowns as a gift, even though I had a pair, I went and set up another tank.

That’s just me, I prefer all my pets over people.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mature tank with a lot of hiding places that will support a lot of fish for the size tank it is. However, there are those times where a fish gets bullied or a friend is taking down their tank and still has 1 fish. Those 3 fish have ended up in my sump. It's fine and they are living quite happily in that 30 gallon sump/fuge.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the other question is why they wouldn't fit in the 625 gallon - fish migrate in and out of areas all the time. Perhaps you're overthinking? If not - follow your individual plan IMHO:)
Just think tank is well stocked already with plenty of angels and tangs so yes another issue is introducing them without the emperor and queen in particular tearing them apart! As far as original plan which was to raise them and sell them, that now is not an option as they’ve become adopted family members with their great personalities! They are just like scribble also in 625g. Just great personalities in shared sub species. Think my family members w/b quite upset if I go with original plan. This happens rarely but has in this case!

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dealing with that right now! I have a beautiful pair of personifier angel fish that I just had to have. They are alone in a 55g and happy as can be BUT we all know that they will outgrow that tank rather quickly. I have a 625g & 240g that are at capacity….I have fallen in love with my Personifier pair and although originally raised them to sell, just cant do it….dilemmas…dilemmas…( pardon the touch of cloudiness as glass needs cleaning)

67FF48E8-2B0D-477C-BF20-826832F830C5.jpeg C829E849-0FFE-4E5F-9DA1-18DDE2C3D8D5.jpeg A3023895-57D1-4864-8FAB-EC7D0B70C1EC.jpeg
Beautiful pair

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My two clowns decided to kill each other…so i separated them and got another tank. Huge mistake imo. Now i have (more than) twice the work, but only the same amount of time. It’s taken me a few months to realize this, so now I’m in the process of planning on consolidating the best parts of both tanks. I will be selling a lot of equipment soon and probably giving away a bunch of corals…I will attempt to reacquaint the clowns, but I’m doubtful it will work. Which brings me to my answer- there’s no way I’ll just take one of the clowns to my lfs for them to resell to who knows! I’ll need to find a local hobbyists that i trust and who wants to home a 3.5 year old clown. It’s going to be hard parting with a family member. Anyone in the MSP area interested?? I’ll need you to fill out my adoption form…kidding.

Chanman1965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 100 miles plus from a quaility Marine LFS so I have to buy on line and most suppliers do not sex their fish(suchas cardinals) so if I order 3 juviniles hoping that the odds will give at least one male and one female then I place the pair in my DT and the "extra" in my 55 gallon refugium.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a question stemming from this point…

I have a fish that is being picked on by another. My LFS has offered to take back as trade - which, I’d love to do. My question is, short of taking out all of your rock, how do you catch the fish? I’ve tried chasing with the net, then it just goes and hides in the rocks.

I‘m still relatively new to reefing - my tank has only been up for about 7-8 months. Would love to hear how ideas for catching/trapping fish you’d like to remove from your tank.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I have a question stemming from this point…

I have a fish that is being picked on by another. My LFS has offered to take back as trade - which, I’d love to do. My question is, short of taking out all of your rock, how do you catch the fish? I’ve tried chasing with the net, then it just goes and hides in the rocks.

I‘m still relatively new to reefing - my tank has only been up for about 7-8 months. Would love to hear how ideas for catching/trapping fish you’d like to remove from your tank.
I know they do sell fish traps…but that also probably depends on the type of fish. What is it?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely have had problems catching fish when needed. It takes patience, observation and feeding a bit to attract them. I’ve also used plastic sheets to corner them off when needed. You usually only get one shot as you plot it out.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back