Mr.Rocc's 40 Nuvo Build (Picture heavy!!!)

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2014
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
806
Location
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm finally putting my build in the right place!
Background: I wanted to get back into the hobby and the Innovative fusion 40 was looking just right so I got it and made my own stand.

Lights - Kessil 360 WE w/ Spectral Controller.
Powerhead : MP10WQD
Heater: Kobalt Neo-Therm 150w ( I will probably add another 100w one)
Skimmer: Tunze 9004 in chamber one
ATO: AutoAqua micro Smart ATO
Controller: HELP!!!!

Right now my tank is two days into cycling. I added Instant Ocean bio spira to help it along the way.
However, I am so stuck on an apex controller. Do I buck up and break the bank on a complete apex controller with the standard PH probe. Or do I get the Jr and get the auto feeder for a ton less.
Follow me along this journey and add any insight that you can!
 
IMG_20160331_202806465.jpg
IMG_20160327_200722378.jpg
IMG_20160330_200844903.jpg
 
You don't really need an Apex to run a tank you know that right. It's one of those it would be nice but not really needed things.
check out my built thread in my sig I have a IM 40.:)
 
I'm away from my home a few weekends a month so it would be very nice to have one. But I know I don't need one.
 
Well I finally got my skimmer up and running. I had some issue but thanks to @Darryl for walking me through the tuning steps it's finally working great!
 
Looks good!
 
So I'm ghost feeding my tank and I noticed that all the food ended up whirpooling, very sutily, under my mp10 on the sand. Is this a bad thing? If so how can I fix it?
 
That is not unusual. You could change the mode of the pump. That can stop dead spots like this.
 
My tank has been cycling for about a week now and there is a diatom breakout already! I'm thinking I'm about 2 weeks out from putting some clean up crew in and maybe a blenny any opinions?

IMG_20160407_174218401.jpg
 
I like the aquascape. I've got the 9004 also on an IM 30L in chamber one. I pulled off that white plug on the corner close to the bottom and just set the skimmer on the bottom of the chamber. The water going over the second baffle makes perfect water height f0r the skimmer.
 
Well I came across my fist "issue". My pH dropped to about a 7.4. Now I'm not stressing much since I only have a few CUC in there. But I'm going to be making a refugium in the back so hopefully that changes things!
 
Just thought I would give an update pic. I have to wait a week to get my pods and refugium up and going b.c. of tax season but it will be here shortly. As you can see my snails have been cleaning up, in their own way :).

IMG_20160418_200132211.jpg
 
You don't really need an Apex to run a tank you know that right. It's one of those it would be nice but not really needed things.
check out my built thread in my sig I have a IM 40.:)


Agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I could use one since I am using timer's for my lights . U already have a controller . If u pick one up , the jr should handle your needs . If u ever upgrade to a radion then u put yourself in a pickle . U would have to upgrade the APEX or go the Ecotech route .
 
I have an Apex and a RKL. Apex is a Cadillac and RKL is a Honda. They both serve their purpose on different tanks and if the Apex ever broke down I can temporarily put the RKL on the more complicated tank.
 
Just a quick update. I finally got to ordering my copepods from @AlgaeBarn! Also tomorrow I'm getting my first fish and I think I'm ganna do a watchman goby but I haven't finalized it yet!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new