Extreme HLLE reversible?

FishguyJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get everyone's opinion on if this half moon angel's HLLE is reversible? I inherited him like this when I bought a large tank. He's a beautiful fish and otherwise healthy but would love to reverse the damage if at all possible. Any opinions on the source of what may have caused it? I've already determined no stray voltage in the tank.

Screenshot_20220621-101855.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Wanted to get everyone's opinion on if this half moon angel's HLLE is reversible? I inherited him like this when I bought a large tank. He's a beautiful fish and otherwise healthy but would love to reverse the damage if at all possible. Any opinions on the source of what may have caused it? I've already determined no stray voltage in the tank.

Reversible, no but some healing and recovery, Yes.
The key will be to provide utmost water quality and DIET.
I will not and dont recommend a $24 test kit to monitor water quality for a $200 fish, use the best possible such as salifert or Hanna if youre not already
Assure ammonia and nitrate stay in safe range
Diet:
Hikari angel formula
LRS Herbivore diet
small krill
Kikari Marine Cuisine
Mysis shrimp
spirulin brine shrimp
Hikari Veggie diet

OP
OP
FishguyJosh

FishguyJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reversible, no but some healing and recovery, Yes.
The key will be to provide utmost water quality and DIET.
I will not and dont recommend a $24 test kit to monitor water quality for a $200 fish, use the best possible such as salifert or Hanna if youre not already
Assure ammonia and nitrate stay in safe range
Diet:
Hikari angel formula
LRS Herbivore diet
small krill
Kikari Marine Cuisine
Mysis shrimp
spirulin brine shrimp
Hikari Veggie diet
Thank you for the diet recommendations, he is getting many of these already and I phased out any pellets/flakes. Also started recently soaking food in vitachem and selcon. As for water quality, obviously ammonia and nitrate need to be essentially zero but what is your opinion on an upper bound for nitrate? I've thought about adding a refugium as well to manage nitrates and phosphates but would that work for a FOWLR 180g tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the diet recommendations, he is getting many of these already and I phased out any pellets/flakes. Also started recently soaking food in vitachem and selcon. As for water quality, obviously ammonia and nitrate need to be essentially zero but what is your opinion on an upper bound for nitrate? I've thought about adding a refugium as well to manage nitrates and phosphates but would that work for a FOWLR 180g tank?
Ammonia <.025 and Nitrate can be up to 10 especially if any coral present. If no coral. . 5 is safe range
While Fuge will work, adding chemipure blue will also work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi,

That is a VERY severe case. I'm surprised the fish hasn't developed a secondary bacterial infection from this deep of erosion. I've seen less severe cases that didn't resolve, so I would hazard to say this won't get better. The best you can hope for is to stop continued erosion.

Here is an article I wrote on HLLE:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/head-and-lateral-line-erosion-hlle.784/

Jay

OP
OP
FishguyJosh

FishguyJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back