Fairy wrasse behavior

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no there are none known to do that..if one is doing that it could be getting picked on but that is not normal for one to do that...why do you ask?

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought three fairy wrasses and put them in the tank together. Each one hide under a rock. I turned the lights out till next morning.
When the actinic lights came on I saw two of the wrasses but not the 3rd. Then the mh's came and I saw the 3rd. The other two new wrasses or the other fish did not both it. The wrasses all flashed each other and everyone went about there business.
I went on w/ my day. Later on that day I saw no third wrasse. I did find its hiding spot after looking.
Today I moved the rock and it swam and dug itself under another rock.
What gives?
no there are none known to do that..if one is doing that it could be getting picked on but that is not normal for one to do that...why do you ask?

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new fairys take some adjusting to the tank and the other fish and it is not uncommon for them to hide..like i said they could be picked on as well what are the other fish in the tank???..i use a specimen cup when introducing all my fish to the tank..that helps let them get use to seeing the other fish and the other gets use to them

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting used to the tank is what my lfs owner said as well.

Here are what fish I have now:
3 pajama cardinals
1 yellow belly damsel
1 bartlett anthias
1 mystery wrasse
2 pyramide butterflies
3 fairy wrasses (these were the ones I added all together)
1 regal tang
1 black clown
1 possium wrasse
1 wantanabei angel
1 flameback angel
1 kole tang
1 yellow tang

new fairys take some adjusting to the tank and the other fish and it is not uncommon for them to hide..like i said they could be picked on as well what are the other fish in the tank???..i use a specimen cup when introducing all my fish to the tank..that helps let them get use to seeing the other fish and the other gets use to them

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of fairys are they..that would help as well as some are harder to acclimate and some do not ship well...that mystery could be the problem..other than that maybe the damsel might pick on them but the rest of the list looks just fine..but it might take a couple of days..are they eating and do u have pics??????

OP
OP
Acronuts

Acronuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the species that I have are as follows: I took these pics but they are not as clear as I would like

cirrhilabrus rubriventralis
RSCN4356.jpg

paracheilinus linopunctatus
RSCN4353.jpg

Here are the those two wrasses together. Not fighting at all with each other.
RSCN4354.jpg

the third and the hiding wrasse is
paracheilinus carpenteri

I am still trying to get a pic of him. As soon I can I will post.

The two wrasse pictured are always out and about.
I will give it a couple of days and see what happens.

My other two thoughts were this.
1. Could the anthias which has similar shape and coloring be the culprit?
2. My mystery wrasse has gone into complete hiding with the intro of the wrasses while the possium wrasse has now been seen more than ever. I wonder why?

Thanks again for your input!

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possum wrasse will not bother those at all and only the fist one the social is a fairy wrasse and the other two the line-spot and carpenters are flasher wrasse closely related to fairys...also the anthias should not bother the wrasses at all..now the other two might be bohtering the carpenters..i have seen the social fairys become quite nasty...the mystrey might not be and it could be that your other flasher is just stressed out as long as he eats he should be fine...this is why i use a specimen cup...after qt they go into the cup and i watch the other fish how they react to the new one i look for one that might be trouble and i watch the new guys to see how the do...i look for a fish that is not too stressed out before realease and for fairys and flashers i make sure they will flashe or display back to the other fish..just making sure they will hold thier own ground so to speak...and then i always let the fish out at night so it can get a good nights rest and be ready the next day...i also make sure that i will be home the next day after i let the fish out to watch and see how things go..here are a few pics of my fish in a cup
line-spot
linespotflasherwrasse7.jpg

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry here are a few more

linespotflasherwrasse4.jpg

redvelvet5.jpg

redvelvet4.jpg

filament2.jpg

flasher will be vertical like this when mad and see its fins spread out that is stuff i watch for you can see the condes in the background coming up to check him out
filamented2.jpg

DSCN1932.jpg

DSCN1958.jpg

DSCN1996.jpg

that eightline flasher really tried to give this fish hell at first but after a couple of days in the cup things got better and i wish i has some good pics come out when the yellow fin tried to attack the eightline through the cup it was classic but that is the method i use and it has worked almost every time...others that i talk to that use this have a good success rate and have been able to keep some of the more aggressive fairys with other fairys by social acclimation...hope this helps and plz keep us updated on the other as well as getting more pics when u can...also that lineopuntatus is my fav wrasse

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back