Fairy Wrasse for Aggressive Tank

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time keeper of leopards and halicoeries wrasses, even a cleaner and possum or two. Have tried a couple of flashers; way too high strung and spent their entire time trying to wiggle through the screen top. I have never tried to keep fairies however. As I contemplate a larger tank, I'm looking for suggestions for fairy wrasse that will coexist with tangs, dwarf Angels, and anthias.

Buddy of mine suggested orange back, Scott's ...... Looking for some input please.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange back is a good choice. Scott's don't always hold their color well in captivity, and don't always play nice with other wrasses.

This chart might be helpful in gauging temperament. If you are only planning on one fairy wrasse most any would do. If you'd like more than one, I'd stay away from the red and dark orange.

Although individual personalities will vary.

Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php...Complexes:-Inferiority-Need-Not-Apply.259074/

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fairy wrasses will be fine with tangs, dwarf angels, and anthias. Some individual tangs and some of the larger anthias species may make swooping passes, but no permanent harm.

Solorensis, cf cyanopleura, exquisitus, rubrimarginatus, rubrisquamis, and rosefasciatus would be some of the first choices I would consider.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you said "aggressive tank", I was expecting a list of things a lot more aggressive than those. :)
Yes, just about any fairy will work here. The bigger species may fair just a bit better, but I wouldn't necessarily eliminate any of the smaller ones. Do be cautious of those most aggressive however if you plan to mix multiple species.

Scott's don't always hold their color well in captivity, and don't always play nice with other wrasses.
+1

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fairy wrasses will be fine with tangs, dwarf angels, and anthias. Some individual tangs and some of the larger anthias species may make swooping passes, but no permanent harm.

Solorensis, cf cyanopleura, exquisitus, rubrimarginatus, rubrisquamis, and rosefasciatus would be some of the first choices I would consider.
Agree. Nearly any fairy will probably work!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you said "aggressive tank", I was expecting a list of things a lot more aggressive than those. :)

Perhaps so. Though my tangs are not particularly welcoming of any newcomers. They've also worked out the acclimation box, so that now proves less than useful. Last two flashers I tried ended up on the floor necessitating a better screen top. Not interested in playing that game again.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks TJ, that's helpful.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized my first post was not entirely accurate as I did have a naoki wrasse at one point (before it found the a hole in my screen).

Anyhow, thinking of going with an aurantidorsalis, a cyanopleura and perhaps a rubrisquamis. Would males of all three co-exist?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized my first post was not entirely accurate as I did have a naoki wrasse at one point (before it found the a hole in my screen).

Anyhow, thinking of going with an aurantidorsalis, a cyanopleura and perhaps a rubrisquamis. Would males of all three co-exist?
Probably; keep an eye on the rubrisquamis, and best to add it last.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aurantidorsalis will likely lose it's bright orange back if kept with cyanopleura. They are both in the same complex, but cyanopleura are bigger and bolder than aurantidorsalis, preventing the aurantidorsalis from being dominant and keeping it's best colors.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of adding a Scott's with a miniatus. Roseafascius is another option, maybe black margin. Anything else get big enough?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of adding a Scott's with a miniatus. Roseafascius is another option, maybe black margin. Anything else get big enough?
Miniatus? Like the grouper? If so, no fairy wrasses is safe.

Scott's and melanomarginatus are compatible in a large tank with roseafascia, but scott's don't keep their colors.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aurantidorsalis will likely lose it's bright orange back if kept with cyanopleura. They are both in the same complex, but cyanopleura are bigger and bolder than aurantidorsalis, preventing the aurantidorsalis from being dominant and keeping it's best colors.
Agree! Didn't catch that in my multi-tasking. ;Eggonface

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a aurantidorsalis (orange back) and small rubrisquamis (red velvet) in QT. Have an opportunity to acquire a lanceolatus (though I think it may actually be a roseafascia); any expert views on compatibility with the two I already have. It's going to be a big tank (450).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a aurantidorsalis (orange back) and small rubrisquamis (red velvet) in QT. Have an opportunity to acquire a lanceolatus (though I think it may actually be a roseafascia); any expert views on compatibility with the two I already have. It's going to be a big tank (450).
In a 450g, all of those will be fine, though eventually the lanceolatus/roseafascia will be top dog.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an opportunity to acquire a lanceolatus (though I think it may actually be a roseafascia)
Unless you're paying 4 figures and it came via Japan, it's roseafascia. :)
Roseafascia will have dark spots on the ventral fins which are at the posterior edges; the black spots on lanceolatus touch the anterior edge.
any expert views on compatibility with the two I already have. It's going to be a big tank (450).
Agree with TJ; it should be okay. Occasionally rubrisquamis can be very fiesty - if your specimen falls in that camp then there could be an issue with roseafascia (but it's a low risk).

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately NOT four figures ......

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rubrisquamis is proving to be an excellent addition to the tank, bold and colorful. Roseafascia is doing well also, though a bit less bold. Aurantidorsalis never made it out of QT, having been felled by some unidentified pathogen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back