OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a full tank shot with the lights on. It's still got a very long way to go before I would call it set up, but I'm slowly getting there.

Attachments

• full shot W lights.jpg
    full shot W lights.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 140
OP
OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO though I should do a quick little update.
The tank is slowly progressing but work is taking my time at the moment so it's not very quickly.
We have managed to get the plumbing almost sorted, there are still a few small things that need tweaking but it's holding water and running well. We are still trying to tune in the plumbing but we have just added salt and just letting it settle before a final check to make sure the salinity is in the right range and beginning the cycle. The heaters and in and hubby has been working hard on the reefpi controller. He has the heater controls working well, the ATO is set up with the final piece of tubing arriving today so we will watch it over the then next few days to see if it's working well or need more tweaking. Tomorrow I'm moving the Reefbot over to the big tank from the small tank to track the cycle and test for me so I don't miss anything due to work especially in two weeks time when I begin night shift.

I'll try to post some more photos tomorrow when I get up to tidying it up a bit as it's a touch messy.
I still have to wait for the back panel to be delivered for the back of the stand to protect the wall.
I also have to make the electrical section which also requires a hardware delivery but due to another COVID lockdown in Melbourne, it has been postponed a little for now.
I also haven't got any wave makers in the tank at present but it's ok because the returns are providing enough flow for the cycle. Once I do my tax I think I'll invest in a few MP60s to get the flow really moving.

OP
OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway here are a few pictures of the tank progressing.

IMG_2579.jpg

The controller end. Still needs a heap of work but it's up and running

IMG_2585.jpg

This is the electrics end. It's not very pretty at all at the moment. We are planning to have a pull-out cupboard so we can still access the pipework behind it but can build that until the stand is finally clad to protect the back wall.

Attachments

• IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 1628921996776.jpeg
    1628921996776.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2584.jpg

THis is the skimmer and man is it huge, to put it into perspective between the black poles is 75cm. The reactor in the first chamber has come off the 4 footer and is just sitting there at the moment because I have nowhere else to put it. I may well use it at some point in this build

Attachments

• 1628922695455.jpeg
    1628922695455.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So time for another update. Basically, I've been working flat out nursing and haven't had much time to do anything. Hubby on the other hand has been plodding away building and programming the reefpi controller.
He has the ATO working with multiple sensors and a solenoid on the RTO topping up the ATO container. He's also printed a heap of brackets and holders on his 3D printer to set up the ATO for me. He has also programmed a temperature controller for the heaters that were delivered a few weeks ago to have them running properly.

I finally moved the Reefbot from the 4 footer to the dream reef and have begun testing regularly to track the cycle. I think I might have left it a bit too late to see the ammonia spike but I'm tracking the nitrite and nitrate anyway so that something at least.

MY nitrite is sitting at 0.5 and my nitrate is sitting at 20 which has me thinking that the cycle is well and truly kicked off and possibly almost at the end. When we get out of lockdown I might head to the local fish shop and get them to run a few tests for me as well just to check how it's going.

I also just set the skimmer up and running, its seatorch 250 beast and when they say it's a beast they mean it's a beast of a skimmer. The thing is huge and has a massive output. I cant wait to see what crap it pulls out of the system.

The other day we has a small power surge and I think it damaged one of the lights so Hubby is going to pull it apart and check it out and get it back up and running again for me.

I ordered the Prolight board for the stand cladding but it had to be delivered from Sydney to Melbourne and of course, it has been delayed due to COVID lockdowns. I've been advised that it should be delivered this coming week so next weekend I can finally finish the stand and then attaching the pipework to the back wall of the stand to secure it. Once the stand is clad I can get the electrical area sorted out and then work on the controller board end.

There is still a huge amount of work to do but the basic plumbing is done so it is running but still needs a few tweaks to be perfect. We are still working out how to dial in the two overflows but almost have that sorted. Having the ATO done now will make that process easier as the varying water level wasn't helping the tuning.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,wow looking great,i just have to say i would worry about those ro lines/shut off valves,near and above the electronics ,even temporary,as those are pretty prone to leaking every now and then,
just better safe than sorry... :)

OP
OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,wow looking great,i just have to say i would worry about those ro lines/shut off valves,near and above the electronics ,even temporary,as those are pretty prone to leaking every now and then,
just better safe than sorry... :)
they aren't anywhere near the electrical. It's just the angle of this photo and because I literally just kicked hubby aside for the photo.
The RO lines are about 50cm behind the electrical in this photo and when hubby finished playing he moved the electrical box. He was just having it there while he was tweaking things he was building and programing so he could see if it was working as he programmed.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, nice rockwork. Sorry about all the delays, I know all about them as well as my dream tank sat on it's stand wrapped in paper for 3 years! It'll be nice to see it progress. Any ideas on a stockibg list?

OP
OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I went to the fish shop for a few snails and ended up picking up a few new corals.
I also finally got around to transferring my fish from my quarantine take into the main display tank. I have learnt something in the process, having a 4-foot quarantine tank is all good and well until you have to catch the fish out of it. SO that took a little bit of time to actually catch the 5 fish I had in there. I had to pull all the rock out then wait for it to clear up a little so I could catch the fish.
The fish have now been transferred to the dream reef and seem to have settled in well. They will be the last addition to the dream reef for the next few weeks as I don't want to overdo the bioload too quickly and crash the tank.

I finally got the skimmer dialled in nicely now and it's producing some good skimmate. I can't believe the amount it's pulling out right now and I haven't even really got anything in the tank. I'm sure once the tank fills up more I'm gonna have to turn it up a lot more but for right now it's on the lowest setting and living up to its name of "the beast"

Anyway here are some photos of the tank and the new corals in the dream reef. There are now 5 cromis, 2 clowns and a blue tang.
I LOVE this first photo because you can see where the snails have been LOL
the dinos seem to be clearing up nicely and the snails are doing their bit.

My next big decision is whether I buy MP60's or some Nero 5's for in-tank flow. I have enough surface agitation from the returns and they provide a fair bit of in-tank flow but not enough for coral growth. So I would love to hear everyone's opinions on which pump is better.

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpg
    IMG_2621.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
Fairymary58

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day I got 2 Nero5's to test them out in the tank. And they actually hold the glass nicely. I think I'm swinging towards the nero5's and not MP60's. I can get a heap more controllability for flow and really individualise it for each section of coral that I want, especially given my aquascape.

While we were at the LFS we also brought another couple of fish, we added a chocolate tang and 2 coral beauties. They are doing really really well in the tank and have added another interesting dimension to the community of fish. The kids love them and hubby and I are finding ourselves sitting in front of the tank just watching it, chatting about our days more and more each day.

We also got a couple more acans and an elegance to add to the tank as well, which have settled well and are looking awesome. We won't be getting too much more for the next few weeks because we want to get the rest of the Nero5's to sort out the flow in the tank properly. I think we will start with about 7 or 9 Nero5"s, to begin with, and then see if we need more later on.

I've updated my fish list after a good chat with my LFS about what could be suitable for my tank and what I should just steer clear of and what may work but I need caution. Hubby is starting to get actively involved in some fish selection as well. We have different tastes sometimes so I always get the final say because its my tank but it's nice to hear someone else's opinion every now and again.

the 4 footer is sitting ready for a new lot of quarantine in the next few weeks which will be nice. If only work wasn't so busy, I would totally be filing it full of fish but work has me flat out so that I won't really get any decent amount of time to spend on the tank until the 25 of September so I don't think there will much change for the next few weeks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back