Fallow periods: Going Fishless

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Wowkuh

Wowkuh Active Member

So my DT has been falling for 3 weeks now and I just realized something, my buddies tank is literally about 2 feet from my tank. I know his tank had ich (those fish died and I got rid of some) BUT the only fish that remain in there now is a 6line wrasse and 2 clown fish that have never shown signs of ich and are healthy pigs. My question is, did I just waste 3 weeks of fallow due to the tank being so close to mine? (Aerosol transmission)

I read that clowns are a little more resistant to ich so I'm kinda hoping ich is dying off....

What should i do? Move his aquarium and reset the clock

@Maritimer
    @4FordFamily

2. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

It’s certainly possible, yes. That close it’s possible that water has splashed from one to another, in fact it’s likely. Often tanks that close also end up
    sharing nets, we stick arms in one tank then immediately in to another — I’ve done it, it’s burned me more than once before I figured it out.

The tank you were running fallow is sitting two feet away from another one with ich in the past that hasn’t been treated, correct?

If so, I’d start fallow over. :(

Big G likes this.
  3. Wowkuh

Wowkuh Active Member

@4FordFamily that suuuuucks. How ever, I almost NEVER swap nets, swap wet hands back and forth. I'm OCD and don't let water drip all over my floors so I always dry my hand/arm if anything. Only things that go back and forth are always dry, my tank sits more than a foot taller than his so I don't think it can splash that high. But you're right, regardless, I should move his tank, and start over

4FordFamily likes this.
  4. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Nothing stinks worse than doing it wrong and adding fish to restart. How far in the fallow period are you? I’ve screwed it up 3 times over the years. No fun :(

rkpetersen likes this.
  5. Wowkuh

Wowkuh Active Member

Over 3 weeks. @4FordFamily not too far in but dang! Lol

rkpetersen likes this.
  6. 4FordFamily

Yeah I feel you’re struggle. No risks! I get sloppy with these things sometimes as I rarely have a chance to work on anything without two screaming kids hanging on me due to my wife’s work schedule. @HotRocks is quarantining two more batches for me right now.

rkpetersen likes this.
  7. Wowkuh

Wowkuh Active Member

Yeah. I have 2 kids of my own that have tapeworms. They wanna eat every couple hours lol @4FordFamily

rkpetersen and 4FordFamily like this.
  8. 4FordFamily

Mine just aren’t aware that they can stand more than 1/2 away from me.

rkpetersen likes this.
  9. Jason0101001

Jason0101001 Member

How does your buddies tank affect yours? Secondly, even the presence of an immune fish will keep ich breeding. It still lives in their gills.

10. Wowkuh

Wowkuh Active Member

Maritimer likes this.
  11. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I'm not aware of a fallow period for any bacterial infection, Vibrio included. @HotRocks, @4FordFamily or @Big G may know things I don't. (Nah ... there's no "maybe" about it ... those guys know _tons_ of stuff I don't!)

~Bruce

4FordFamily and Fudsey like this.
  12. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Very difficult to effect "bad" bacteria in a DT without destroying the beneficial bacteria in the tank as well. Lots of opinions on the subject but many agree that the "bad" bacteria are secondary to other primary actors such as poor tank conditions, shipping damage, aggression, stress, etc. that allow these "latent" bacteria to become active and effective on the fish with compromised immune systems. Many commercial breeders use UV sterilizers with the correct flow rates and uv outputs to attempt to limit the growth of the harmful bacteria in their grow tanks. But for most of us hobbyists, the best defense is pristine water conditions, feeding fish a variety of high quality foods that reflect their natural food sources, and quarantining all incoming "wet" additions to our tanks.
    That being said, what to do if you have a DT with uronema for example in the water? The only way to eliminate it with high confidence would be a tear down and sterilization of the tank and equipment and starting over. All of which furthers the thinking and practice of choosing wisely fish that are healthy and quarantining all incoming fish so to avoid bringing in a "Typhoid Mary" with a compromised immune system into your DT's environment. Perhaps @Humblefish can help us here.

Maritimer and 4FordFamily like this.
  13. 4FordFamily

I agree with all of this. Antibiotics for infections is about all you can do. Unfortunately we’ve been using them prophylactically recently with better success. Wish we didn’t have to.

Big G likes this.
  14. 604

604 New Member

thank you for the feed back everyone. looks like i'll have to sterilize the tank.

weird cause my wrasses were not affected, and this angel was in qt for 2 months at the shop where my buddy works. guess i'll have to really focus on water quality when i start up again.

15. robert

robert Valuable Member

You probably already know this - but it warrants repeating - several of these bacterial infections pose a zootonic concern - meaning you can become infected and in rare instances these infections can prove fatal. A more common symptom is a purple raised sore, itching - with or without pain which doesn't heal normally. There are multiple pathogens of concern.

Careful - use gloves, eye protection. Transmission to humans is typically by contact with water and break in the skin.

It's not something to get too excited over - just bear in mind that it does happen.

Maritimer likes this.
  16. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Yes. Kinda scary. I stopped using siphon hoses unless using one of those "bulb" devices to get the suction going. Don't want my face, nose, eyes anywhere near an infected tank or when draining/water changing for a QT.

17. Wowkuh

Wowkuh Active Member

Should I be avoiding adding new coral/frags during fallow period?

18. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NHFS Member

Yes, unless you want to restart the 76 days....

Big G and Wowkuh like this.
  19. Big G

Anything new that is "wet" has the potential of bringing in an encysted parasites like Ich, etc. Recommend all new inverts and corals get a 76 day fishless QT. That being said, the beginning of a new "fallow" period in a DT would be a good time to introduce new inverts and corals. Then the 76 day clock starts.

ReefWithCare, Fudsey and Wowkuh like this.
  20. naif

naif Member

Hi humble fish

I’m a bit confused , I kept my 350 gallons reef tank fishless for more then 3 months now however I left 2 boxer shrimps and one snowflake eel where I thought eels don’t carry ich !!!! Does that mean my fish-less period if almost 4 months is for waste and would have to do it all over again ?!!

Plus I already have a successful batch of fish that went threw a complete qt process for almost a month with cupramin and I’m about to put them in DT next week

Would highly appreciate your input

Regards

Draft saved Draft deleted