Fallow periods: Going Fishless

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Question for the experts. So I am now 14 days into my fallow period. Why are my nitrates rising? Starting to see traces of hair algae. I am still doing my regular water changes and only feeding the tank normal dose of reef energy. I understand that the angel and tangs would control the hair algae when they where in the tank but I can understand why my NO3 has climbed from a steady 10ppm to +25. I have increased the time on the fuge light and doing a 20% water change right now. If that doesnt work carbon dose? Also none of the fish died or where lost in the DT so its not coming from dead fish or feeding. So confused. PO4 is steady at 0.02.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Just remembered something that might have something to do with it. I added 5lbs of live rock to the sump and DT to add more sps. It was live rock I had in the tank at the start and was sitting on a shelf for 3 months. I did a half *** cure of putting the live rock in a heated pale of saltwater from my tank with a wave pump for 30 days changing the water each week. The rock has been back in my system for about 3 weeks which is around the time my nitrates started increasing. Thoughts? Should I remove the rock or let it do its thing?

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Question- I’m about halfway through my fallow (had to rest a few times because I added frags and some emerald crabs). If I add an anemone now to my DT, I believe that would not reset the clock- correct? If I read correctly, the only thing an anemone could bring in is the free swimming stage through the water it holds. So if that assumption is correct, as long as I have more than 16 days left in my fallow period (which I do), I’m ok not to reset the clock. Is that right?

Do you want to win a GHL ProfiLux 4 Controller Ultimate set?

• Yes I need a controller

Votes: 98 53.8%
  • Yes I would like to try this controller

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • No I'm not going to be an early bird partner member

Votes: 25 13.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
noopsyche
FishyBusinessAquatics.com