Fallow periods: Going Fishless

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the experts. So I am now 14 days into my fallow period. Why are my nitrates rising? Starting to see traces of hair algae. I am still doing my regular water changes and only feeding the tank normal dose of reef energy. I understand that the angel and tangs would control the hair algae when they where in the tank but I can understand why my NO3 has climbed from a steady 10ppm to +25. I have increased the time on the fuge light and doing a 20% water change right now. If that doesnt work carbon dose? Also none of the fish died or where lost in the DT so its not coming from dead fish or feeding. So confused. PO4 is steady at 0.02.

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remembered something that might have something to do with it. I added 5lbs of live rock to the sump and DT to add more sps. It was live rock I had in the tank at the start and was sitting on a shelf for 3 months. I did a half butt cure of putting the live rock in a heated pale of saltwater from my tank with a wave pump for 30 days changing the water each week. The rock has been back in my system for about 3 weeks which is around the time my nitrates started increasing. Thoughts? Should I remove the rock or let it do its thing?

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- I’m about halfway through my fallow (had to rest a few times because I added frags and some emerald crabs). If I add an anemone now to my DT, I believe that would not reset the clock- correct? If I read correctly, the only thing an anemone could bring in is the free swimming stage through the water it holds. So if that assumption is correct, as long as I have more than 16 days left in my fallow period (which I do), I’m ok not to reset the clock. Is that right?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Humblefish

My tank is currently fallow. When it comes time to reintroduce my fish is it wise to add any bottle bac? Tank is 8 months old. Do i need to worry about a mini cycle?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

My tank is currently fallow. When it comes time to reintroduce my fish is it wise to add any bottle bac? Tank is 8 months old. Do i need to worry about a mini cycle?

If you spread out adding back all the fish over a couple of weeks, then you shouldn't see any ammonia spike. The surviving nitrifying bacteria will propagate quickly once fish food/poop fuels them.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you spread out adding back all the fish over a couple of weeks, then you shouldn't see any ammonia spike. The surviving nitrifying bacteria will propagate quickly once fish food/poop fuels them.
Was hoping to add the 3 in qt back at once so i can go get 1 or 2 more in qt right away to be done with stocking. Getting sick of running the qt haha.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 fish should be fine, that's not a lot of extra unless they are all large fish of course.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been fallow for about 11 months now. Just coral. I added 5 small clowns into the tank, and today I saw one sitting in front of the powerhead. I have no other animals in this tank prior to this. I hope its just a fluke, but if this is velvet again, then I for sure hold the record for the worst strain in history.

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been with me for about 4 months. I was moving them into the large tank to make room for other fish.
no issues in their previous tank. I will check again when I get home maybe it was a fluke but if I see it still happening then there is something clearly wrong here!

wasafuzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if this has been covered, tried to read everything but might have missed this. My DT has been fallow for about two weeks with what I believe to be velvet. I am starting to see brown algae beginning to grow on the sand. I started out feeding my tank the usual amount of food daily due to the one lone fire shrimp. I then read I should only ghost feed so that's what I have been doing. Could someone tell me what is causing the algae, I had none before going fallow. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry if this has been covered, tried to read everything but might have missed this. My DT has been fallow for about two weeks with what I believe to be velvet. I am starting to see brown algae beginning to grow on the sand. I started out feeding my tank the usual amount of food daily due to the one lone fire shrimp. I then read I should only ghost feed so that's what I have been doing. Could someone tell me what is causing the algae, I had none before going fallow. Thanks in advance.

Possibly excessive nutrients fueling it. What's your nitrate & phosphate reading??

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading the section below from the front page

“In most other studies, 7-14 days has been "the norm" for theront release.”

I wonder what percentage of ich falls into this category? I know the 72 day strain exists , just wondering how much I’m rolling the dice if I only QT my coral additions for 14-16 days before adding to DT?

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also trying to get through all 15 pages of this thread but it's a lot to read.

If I understand correctly, 76 days will definitely kill the longest known existing strain of ich.

45 days for everything Except the one time, once only, one study strain, correct?

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one study that showed 72 days, correct? Are you saying there have been absolutely no studies showing the same results since, 1997? If that is true then this is not scientific. Results of a correct study must be able to be replicated.

Colorni, A. and P. Burgess. 1997. Cryptocaryon irritans Brown 1951, the cause of “white spot disease” in marine fish: an update. Aquarium Sciences and Conservation, 1: 217–238.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one study that showed 72 days, correct? Are you saying there have been absolutely no studies showing the same results since, 1997? If that is true then this is not scientific. Results of a correct study must be able to be replicated.

Colorni, A. and P. Burgess. 1997. Cryptocaryon irritans Brown 1951, the cause of “white spot disease” in marine fish: an update. Aquarium Sciences and Conservation, 1: 217–238.

The author acknowledges that the study was conducted in 68F water with the aid of antibiotics in a sterile flask. So, not a reef like environment. It was done to show that prolonged excystment is possible under the right conditions. IMO; Tomonts going dormant in a hypoxic environment is probably more likely to blame for a failed fallow period: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/why-a-fallow-period-will-sometimes-fail.536167/

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The author acknowledges that the study was conducted in 68F water with the aid of antibiotics in a sterile flask. So, not a reef like environment. It was done to show that prolonged excystment is possible under the right conditions. IMO; Tomonts going dormant in a hypoxic environment is probably more likely to blame for a failed fallow period: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/why-a-fallow-period-will-sometimes-fail.536167/

That makes sense. I couldn’t get ahold of the actual study.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back