Family involvement in the hobby

Who is involed?

  • Me and significant other

    Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Me, significant other, and kids

    Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Just ME!

    Votes: 22 47.8%

  • Total voters
    46

seitzjh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2016
Messages
267
Reaction score
537
Location
Lake Worth, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who out here has their household family involved in this hobby? Are your kids involved and are they learning or wanting to learn about the different species and their scientific and common names that live in your tanks? Do you use it as family bonding time? Who has what chores?


Let's see what everybody has to say.
 
Definitely a reefing family here! My wife helps with dosing and pest removal and keeping an eye on things while I'm gone. Our 15 yr old helps with water changes and our 2 yr old can name zoas, chalice, brain coral. Lol.
 
I'm still trying to get my daughter to change the skimmer cup;Hilarious That chore is mine but my wife has helped with that before. It is really enjoyable to have my family involved. My oldest daughter will show her science teacher pics of our tank and discuss marine environments. Makes me proud.
 
Wife calls it the "fish hole" that I get lost in. Thinks it looks nice but that's the extent of it. 17 yo daughter will watch the tank while I'm out on business. . . for a price.

13 yo daughter's life revolves completely around volleyball. I don't even know if she's aware we have an aquarium. :p
 
I'm still trying to get my daughter to change the skimmer cup;Hilarious That chore is mine but my wife has helped with that before. It is really enjoyable to have my family involved. My oldest daughter will show her science teacher pics of our tank and discuss marine environments. Makes me proud.

You're obviously raising them right! :)
 
My wife has become addicted...she was the one to convince me to pull the trigger on a RSR xl 525. My 14 yo is into fish and coral...not so much maintenance and testing. But he does impress me with his knowledge of ocean life. My 10 yo helps with testing and a bit of maintenance but is pretty picky about what he thinks we need in the tank.
 
I'm still in the build process. My 6 year old seems to be interested. He loves watching blue planet with me. I guess I'll find out once things are up and running how interested he will be. My 4 year old has the attention span of a gnat. The wife will probably only look at time to time.
 
Depends on what you mean by involved. My kids love the fish and coral. My Wife also likes the corals and even helps pick them out/ buys some. As for maintenance that’s all me. If I got out of town it’s as if no one was home with the thing beyond maybe feeding.

Edit: The wife also helps me interpret colors for the weekly testing being as I can’t tell the difference between most of them. How could I forget that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new