OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't made an update video in a long time. It seemed like the perfect time to do one since its been about a year since I upgraded houses and had to move my established SPS tank.

There were ups and downs during the first year, dinos, cyano enough to blanket everything in a maroon wonderland, red flatworms so dense it looked like cyano, red turf algae, a weird November where I saw unending STN and lost some stuff, marine velvet episode that killed 2/3rd of my fish population... This time from a dipped frag of all things... And so I say with much relief, that after a long first year... Made longer because I had my first kid at roughly the same time we moved so I was introduced to parenthood and sleepless nights... That I'm happy the tank has made it to where it has today.

A lot of thanks goes to local friends that helped a sleep deprived guy who didn't even know which way was up or down move. Continued thanks to friends that helped me cut a hole in the wall for me to build an in-wall setup and frame up cabinet doors and add a bar to it.

Even those that couldn't physically help, the support given in the forums was amazing and pushed me to carry forward through the lack of sleep and exhaustion after taking care of a newborn and moving houses in the same month. It seems ridiculous looking back that it took 4 months to aquascape and only really 3 months ago did I really start to glue down corals permanently. I'm actually still working on the right of the scape as I still need to glue corals on that side of the rock. You'll see in the video the area I quickly glossed over as its just bare rock... Think of it as an blank canvas. [emoji16]

Anyways, I'll wrap it up. Thanks all for your support through the first year of my new tank at the new house with the new baby. I couldn't have done it without you! Here's the video!

Last edited:

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video is not showing up but I did watch it on YouTube already, lol. The tank looks stunning!

What process did you take to deal with all the dino, cyano and algae?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video is not showing up but I did watch it on YouTube already, lol. The tank looks stunning!

What process did you take to deal with all the dino, cyano and algae?
Thanks for the heads up! Link fixed! It only showed up in tapatalk for some reason originally.

Cyano was just part of the normal maturation process... But after staring at it for 2-3 months, I decided to use chemiclean. Worked like a charm... And if the definition of charm is substitute cyano for dinos... Then yes, like a charm.

So I battled dinos for 2-3 months... It would get worse, then better, then worse, then better... I just kept attacking it with hydrogen peroxide and my giant UV. I picked up an oxydater to help oxygenate my water and shortly after, my dinos started to slowly go away. I doubt it was just the oxydater but more than likely combined methods that finally eradicated it. Red turf was easy, turbo snails took care of that no problem. I usually let it grow like crazy initially to avoid other algaes as I know turbo snails will wipe it out in 2 weeks flat.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking Great like always! Somehow I need to get a frag of the red SPS on the bottom left, and the bright red Gonipora.
Thanks Alton! That colony at the bottom left is a Frag Farmers Red Robin Stag. For some reason I feel like you got a frag of it already but I could be remembering wrong. If not, I'll be at the Maast Swap and can bring you one buddy.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank, something I'd love my tank to aspire to ! !

What is the pink island on the right, xenia?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank, something I'd love my tank to aspire to ! !

What is the pink island on the right, xenia?
Thanks Fudsey for following along! Its been quite a journey with the move but it's getting there!

How dare you utter the "X" word in this thread! [emoji14] Its a red/pink goniopora.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I want a setosa!
Fudsey, Ty is the coral Whisperer
Too kind Alton! I've killed plenty of corals over the years so it took a trail of coral skeletons to learn from all those mistakes.

I'll frag you a piece sir!

Back