FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are curious on build quality, I have the 24” refugium light over my fuge. It’s top notch quality, plenty of power. It also has an external driver that you could likely swap with something that is dimmable if you ever felt the need.

Let’s put it this way, instead of $620 for a compact over my frag section, I am considering 2 daylights and 1 UV for about half the price.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @HolisticBear got 1 or 2 of them

I have a single 36" Daylight Orphek lightbar with 90 degree lens (you can chose 60, 90, or 120 degree when ordering) over a frag tank.

No complaints + their support is excellent, but daylight isn't particularly flattering to corals. Going from the Windex colored tanks of NY-RAP to this spectrum is rough. All those "yellow" WWC acros look ugly green.

Real curious how they look in a few weeks when they move to the Atlantik V4.

This thread makes me wonder what adding a UV/Violet or Blues lightbar would do.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single 36" Daylight Orphek lightbar with 90 degree lens (you can chose 60, 90, or 120 degree when ordering) over a frag tank.

No complaints + their support is excellent, but daylight isn't particularly flattering to corals. Going from the Windex colored tanks of NY-RAP to this spectrum is rough. All those "yellow" WWC acros look ugly green.

Real curious how they look in a few weeks when they move to the Atlantik V4.

This thread makes me wonder what adding a UV/Violet or Blues lightbar would do.

Yeah, I don't think this light will be the choice of lights for the blue light reefers, but my guess is an actinic bar on either side may cure their woes.

Keep us posted on your V4 transition and how they look under them once moved!

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't think this light will be the choice of lights for the blue light reefers, but my guess is an actinic bar on either side may cure their woes.

Keep us posted on your V4 transition and how they look under them once moved!

One note about the V4 in my limited time with mine....the violet/UV channel is pretty subtle. With just that channel turned to 100%, it is very dark. But do that and turn the blues to just 5% or something low and...boom, crazy pop.

Your tank was pretty much the sister tank to my last build, so it’s funny we might end up with the same lights again! Now just send me a frag if every one of your acros and we can be twinsies again[emoji6]

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One note about the V4 in my limited time with mine....the violet/UV channel is pretty subtle. With just that channel turned to 100%, it is very dark. But do that and turn the blues to just 5% or something low and...boom, crazy pop.

Your tank was pretty much the sister tank to my last build, so it’s funny we might end up with the same lights again! Now just send me a frag if every one of your acros and we can be twinsies again[emoji6]

Thanks for sharing the observation regarding the UV/violet channel!

Haha, yes, I remember our twin tanks. I'm actually sticking with my ATI T5 Sunpower fixture and two SBREEF actinic bars on my DT. But the plan is to put this Orphek over my frag tank and see how everything colors up! Heck, if things look even more amazing under it, I might go all in and put it over my display!

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the observation regarding the UV/violet channel!

Haha, yes, I remember our twin tanks. I'm actually sticking with my ATI T5 Sunpower fixture and two SBREEF actinic bars on my DT. But the plan is to put this Orphek over my frag tank and see how everything colors up! Heck, if things look even more amazing under it, I might go all in and put it over my display!
do you want to put v4 or the led bars?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did they say about your concern about uv leds?
This was their reply: "The UV LEDs that we use in the OR bar lights are short range or UV-A LEDs (410nm) and they are not as dangerous as UV rays in the UV-B bandwidth of light which is 280-320 nanometers."

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a day late with my picture of it. This one was really difficult to capture the subtle colors and I don't think I did a good job of it at all. There's bright pink/red on the smaller nubs in the back right that didn't show at all. Maybe a top-down shot will do better to show the colors but this is the best I could muster right now.

Hung's Rainbow Explosion/BC Hungs Truly Unbelievable
hungsrainbowexplosion (1 of 1).jpg

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, its alive! Muahahaha!

No, normally at 7 dKh but I've had a growth boom after correcting the RO/DI issue where it was dumping 84 TDS into my tank for top off. [emoji16] I'm adjusting the CaRX to meet the increased demand.

No, for now just monitoring and no control. It actually comes with an ability to hook up the calcium reactor solenoid to it and have it turn on and off the gas when needed to control alk so no Apex even needed.

Imo it would be better to hook your feed pump up to the switchable outlet instead of the solenoid. Let your pH controller/apex control the co2 in your reactor. That way it stays constant and the only thing that changes is whether or not its pumping water in. Just a thought.

Btw, I received one of the first alkatronics and have had it for a pretty long time now. I absolutely love it and it has run flawlessly. I also helped with the manual so if you have any questions or concerns just hit me up (although Jonas Roman is quick to respond, best customer service in the biz!)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back