Fascinated by my new Foxface Rabbitfish

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my almost 20 years of being in and out of the hobby, I’d never really paid attention to any sort of Rabbitfish. Didn’t even really know anything about them till I started coming up with fish list for my new 220 build.
I bought a small juvenile last week. When I go to choose a fish and they have multiple ones, it’s hard for me to chose by size. I don’t want a full size one, because who knows how old it is? I don’t want a tiny one because who knows if it can tough it out, so I try to find a medium or just a little under. This guy was quite a bit under medium and I’ve been worried about him since I brought him home.
I didn’t know about the camouflage thing until like the day before I bought him. LFS owner told me same thing. His tank mates coming in was only a pair of clowns and a royal gramma. I also bought a melanarus? Wrasse the same day. (Which I’ve only briefly seen him once in the dark all week)
For the first 3-4 days the Foxface stayed hidden in the rocks and would only peek his head out if I wasn’t around. He was always in his ugly camp colors. He was petrified of me (feelings hurt). It wasn’t until a week later (last night) I bought 4 blue green chromis And 3 anthias, brought them home and this morning it was like he was a brand new man and was strutting all over the tank like he owned the place. He was hanging out in a corner with the chromis, then he was under a big shelf chatting it up with the anthias, then just all over. And he was beautiful white, black, and yellow. He even ate like a hog when I fed the tank. (I had previously never seen him eat before). It’s like the new fish helped him come out of his shell!

Then tonight, lights go out, and he’s pouting in a corner, very bottom, nose against side glass, stomach to sand, full camo, not moving. I sit down next to the tank to type this out, I happen to look back up a few min later and he’s gone! He’s over hanging out with the anthias in full color again!

There’s no question or concern here, just posting how fascinated I’m at this created and his personality!

Feel free to show off your rascally rabbits!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't talk about it's little fetish!

Leathers! ;)

DSC_0001 (1024x683).jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hopefully, yours doesn’t get a taste for zoas

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face developed a taste for my green slimmer to the point it has changed the way it grows. Instead of growing long and toward the surface it just grows bulbous at the tips and get bigger around. The fox face does a good job with the algae though.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little so and so (Foxface Lo) eats Acans - I'm sure of it so I need to keep him well fed. He's a voracious eater and very protective over what he sees are his algae pellets. He hovers above them with a full spine display. The only ever time he does that is when hes being cleaned by my blue lined cleaner wrasse. Amazing watching that relationship.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also add to this, just an observation of mine from keeping multiple foxfaces and rabbits over the years.
they all grow FAST. Expect your “medium” fish to be the largest fish in the tank in about 2 months.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought one of these on a whim and love it!! So fun to watch. Love the above description of “pouting”. They do for sure. Great fish, seems hardy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back