Fast reef pi build, I hope.....

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the AC tester thing is whack, although humidity is low right now and I was wearing socks yesterday on a tiled floor and have a cat, could be static, though the doubt it, I'll replace the PSU's hopefully this week and report back.

My guess is the Y capacitor or a similar capacitor across the isolation gap is leaking. You should not be getting shocked anywhere.

Was this off the relay pack or somewhere else?

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the Y capacitor or a similar capacitor across the isolation gap is leaking. You should not be getting shocked anywhere.

Was this off the relay pack or somewhere else?

The first shock was from the female stereo jack, where I had mounted the pull up resistor, the second was from one of the relay wires I had stripped the end to resolder the connector.

The 12 volt PSU was from a failed return pump, now the more I think about it this seems more like the culprit, it's probably what caused the return pump to fail. If I get the chance later I'll swap it out.

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cracked open the 12 v psu, I can't really make out much other than it looks like it's been getting a little hot in there.

IMG_20190211_095343.jpg
IMG_20190211_095352.jpg

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are some of those large brown capacitors blown, the tops look bulged and they have black tar looking marks.
Looks like some things were getting a bit hot....interesting

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a definite bulge on those two caps, thankfully I got those shocks :eek: otherwise I might have baked my pi!

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Su’scon: you know it’s quality.

Wouldn’t explain the shocks. That could just be a dodgy transformer.

Yeah I doubt the caps, even though they're low quality are responsible, I installed a new PSU and no shocks, even mean well PSU's don't use the best caps either, I think their reliability is more down to the circuit as a whole.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I doubt the caps, even though they're low quality are responsible, I installed a new PSU and no shocks, even mean well PSU's don't use the best caps either, I think their reliability is more down to the circuit as a whole.

Glad to hear the shocks went away!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Su’scon: you know it’s quality.

Wouldn’t explain the shocks. That could just be a dodgy transformer.

There is more than the capacitors, that looks a little baked in that psu if you look at the pics close.
Anyways glad to see you are getting no more shocks!
One of my biggest fears is reaching into a tank of water where 120v is present...its happened to me once, a glass heater had the bottom of the tube crack and fall off, I didnt see it and reached in to replant a plant...bam, I almost pulled that 30 gallon tank over trying to get my arm and hand out of the tank!!!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than the capacitors, that looks a little baked in that psu if you look at the pics close.
Anyways glad to see you are getting no more shocks!
One of my biggest fears is reaching into a tank of water where 120v is present...its happened to me once, a glass heater had the bottom of the tube crack and fall off, I didnt see it and reached in to replant a plant...bam, I almost pulled that 30 gallon tank over trying to get my arm and hand out of the tank!!!

I tend to expect some level of bake in the plastic enclosures. Its not truly baked until the FR4 discolors :)

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a quick fiddle with the pi today, managed to solder the 2 temperature sensors to the stereo jack without destroying the jack. Both the sensors are working, but I'm getting a pop up error 404 not found on 1 (something like that).

Also tested the last doser and I've got voltage, seems the l293d was affected by the dodgy PSU.

The only other thing is one of the relays not working, seems to be a problem with my wiring as I'm not getting continuity, I'll have to investigate that, probably the fault is either on one of the keystones or cat6 jack's.

Once I sort that I'll get it running on the tank.

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I found all the issues and sorted them.

1) some unknown idiot had wired the pwm output of the non working l293d to ground and the control wire was also grounded, I'll need to give that idiot a slap....once I can identify him!

2) the control for the non working relay was traced to a faulty rj45 socket, the above idiot had wired it correctly, the socket was a knock off (I knew that) I gad a spare original, so swapped them out and bingo, all working.

So now I need to get a little bit of configuration sorted and test with AC power, then I should be good to hook it up on the tank, I desperately need the doser up as manual alk dosing sucks, hopefully my few SPS (Monti caps and digitata) can actually show some noticeable growth and improvement.

IMG_20190220_193631.jpg
IMG_20190220_193612.jpg

Working relays :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1) some unknown idiot had wired the pwm output of the non working l293d to ground and the control wire was also grounded, I'll need to give that idiot a slap....once I can identify him!

It's comforting to know these "idiots" do not raid my house only!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2) the control for the non working relay was traced to a faulty rj45 socket, the above idiot had wired it correctly, the socket was a knock off (I knew that) I gad a spare original, so swapped them out and bingo, all working.

So now I need to get a little bit of configuration sorted and test with AC power, then I should be good to hook it up on the tank, I desperately need the doser up as manual alk dosing sucks, hopefully my few SPS (Monti caps and digitata) can actually show some noticeable growth and improvement.

IMG_20190220_193631.jpg
IMG_20190220_193612.jpg

Working relays :)
Great job, and kudos on troubleshooting your own mistakes, thats how you learn!
When people have trouble on a build, thats why I always ask them to doublecheck the wiring first, 90 percent of the time thats where the trouble is, and its a matter of checking thru logically to find the trouble.

OP
OP
S

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job, and kudos on troubleshooting your own mistakes, thats how you learn!
When people have trouble on a build, thats why I always ask them to doublecheck the wiring first, 90 percent of the time thats where the trouble is, and its a matter of checking thru logically to find the trouble.

Glad I didn't blow up the pi!
I have a couple of free hours right now, so going to finish up the last bits, I'll get some stickers made up for the power bar and control box, I'll also put a reef pi logo on the boxes ;)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I didn't blow up the pi!
I have a couple of free hours right now, so going to finish up the last bits, I'll get some stickers made up for the power bar and control box, I'll also put a reef pi logo on the boxes ;)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Back