Feather duster (or Aiptasia) and Hydroids?

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
16
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some corals from WWC about two weeks ago. I didn't dip them upon arrival as I'm new to corals...

I've kept them in a separate tank to monitor them. Here's what I see so far in terms of possible pests/hitchhikers. If you can please help me identify them and possible remedies, I'd be greatful:

My guess: Feather duster (harmless)?
pest_01.jpg


My guess: Hydroids (possibly bothersome?)?
pest_02.jpg


Should I just scrape these off in tank water (then discard)? Should I dip these? I currently have Bayer Advanced, CoralRx, and Revive if needed.

Lastly, for future reference: can Bayer Advanced be used for Softies & LPS as well (I've previously heard it mentioned several times to be used with SPS)?

Thanks!
 
First one is definitely a harmless feather duster.

Not sure about the second picture.
 
First one is definitely a harmless feather duster.

Not sure about the second picture.

1593557838790.png


1st is cool. 2nd isn't aiptasia so if you aren't already going through a quarantine procedure with you i'd just let it grow and welcome diversity
 
Scrape all away to eliminate any nuisance hitchhikers
 
Agree with feather duster on number 1. Number 2 may be hydroids but the picture is not super clear on my end. To be safe, you remove the coral from the plug completely and glue to another plug or rock.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new