i cant think

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No… I don’t mean a Feather Duster as in the tube worm I mean a literal starfish.
My interest in these guys has always been around but recently it’s spiked and I want to know whether anyone has kept these alive long term in captivity or not. I would absolutely love to try one but would hate to lose it.
As for what I’ve found that some people feed in captivity is it’s often daily feedings of Phytoplankton and Zooplankton. My worry is, as I plan to try a clam in the 4’ tank, would this affect the Starfish.

Never Wash Another Nasty Filter Sock Again!
OP
i cant think

i cant think

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
You mean a feather star?
Yep, over hear they’re called Feather Duster Stars just to confuse more people. I swear TMC just loves to name fish and inverts something too similar or swap their names.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Crinoids would be as specific as possible...I'm not sure I've ever heard any reliable success stories with them even lasting months except for 1 or 2 in Coral Magazine because they're so particular about the particle size of their foods along with what the food is as well of course. With that said, I'm the guy launching a study/experiment on so called "impossible to keep without a huge tank" starfish so I'm definitely not saying it's impossible because I'm confident I'm going to achieve at least a reasonable level of success in my study that most people give me a 0 chance of success with.

OP
i cant think

i cant think

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Crinoids would be as specific as possible...I'm not sure I've ever heard any reliable success stories with them even lasting months except for 1 or 2 in Coral Magazine because they're so particular about the particle size of their foods along with what the food is as well of course. With that said, I'm the guy launching a study/experiment on so called "impossible to keep without a huge tank" starfish so I'm definitely not saying it's impossible because I'm confident I'm going to achieve at least a reasonable level of success in my study that most people give me a 0 chance of success with.
That’s true, in reality nothings impossible if you just give it ago and have trial and error.

What are you currently feeding your Fromia and could it be used to try feed a Crinoid?
It’s not my first time dipping my feet into starfish and I have previously owned a sand sifting star but it died after I think 3 or 4 years.

Nutramar Foods

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
That’s true, in reality nothings impossible if you just give it ago and have trial and error.

What are you currently feeding your Fromia and could it be used to try feed a Crinoid?
It’s not my first time dipping my feet into starfish and I have previously owned a sand sifting star but it died after I think 3 or 4 years.
Feather stars eat particulate matter they catch in the current while Fromias and most stars feed off substrate and solid foods so it wouldn't translate

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
It may. They sift particles in the water and require pristine water conditions and the clam feeds in a similar fashion.
in addition, they have a high mortality rate and although beautiful May be short term

World Wide Corals
OP
i cant think

i cant think

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Feather stars eat particulate matter they catch in the current while Fromias and most stars feed off substrate and solid foods so it wouldn't translate
Thanks, how did you prepare for your star?
I’m wondering if I went the same route but specified for a Crinoid maybe it could improve success. One of those thoughts was to absolutely bomb the tank with Phytoplankton and Zooplankton for a year or two before getting the star, as well as try grab hold of other small particulate formulas.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks, how did you prepare for your star?
I’m wondering if I went the same route but specified for a Crinoid maybe it could improve success. One of those thoughts was to absolutely bomb the tank with Phytoplankton and Zooplankton for a year or two before getting the star, as well as try grab hold of other small particulate formulas.
Well I was able to prepare by stocking as much of their natural food source as possible (live rock straight from the ocean) before trying to supplement his diet with other foods...if I were you, I'd focus on building as healthy of a bacterioplankton population as possible...keep in mind, just adding Phyto won't help if you can't support it to keep the Phyto you add alive and it'll just accumulate nutrients

AS
BRS

Where in or around your aquarium have you used adhesives/glues?

• Mounting frags

Votes: 159 93.5%
  • Bonding acrylic

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • Sealing with silicone

Votes: 56 32.9%
  • Aquascaping rocks

Votes: 122 71.8%
  • Other (please describe in the discussion)

Votes: 12 7.1%
Tenecor Aquariums