Feather star diary...

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I saw a red feather star for sale in my LFS, I did some research and seem like it's impossible to keep them alive in our aquarium lol. I'm tempting to buy it because it's darn look awesome....

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure by the lack of response that this one has perished as so many others have...:(:(

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I saw a red feather star for sale in my LFS, I did some research and seem like it's impossible to keep them alive in our aquarium lol. I'm tempting to buy it because it's darn look awesome....
i have knowledge on them, I also keep crinoids checkout my thread and will PM you information about them

OP
OP
Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates... New job, building work, prepping for Xmas and new baby on the way... all meant I haven't had the time... FS is doing well. Daytime is now spent largely curled up behind rocks, out of the light. Once lights are on blues only (last hour) it ascends the rock and perches on the edge in solid upwelling flow and feeds for the entire night (as far as I know... I'm yet to see it retracted at night, but obvs am not checking it constantly!).

I have amended the feeding schedule, to reflect this pattern. Instead of the hourly dosing I am now dosing the same amount of food, but only at night time (12 hour photoperiod, first and last hour on blues @ 1%). So I am dosing every 30 mins for 14 hours.

Nitrates have made an appearance as have phosphates... currently running at 30ppm no3 and 0.5ppm po4. Has been a very gradual increase and seems to have no adverse affect (including on my SPS, which is mainly montis). Being honest this wasn't intentional but with everything else going on I have been a little lax on WCs. I am using near on 500g of rowa per month and getting through biopellets significantly faster, so I'm guessing no3 and po4 production has about quadrupled.

I'll try to get a pic during the blues period...

Salahunreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates... New job, building work, prepping for Xmas and new baby on the way... all meant I haven't had the time... FS is doing well. Daytime is now spent largely curled up behind rocks, out of the light. Once lights are on blues only (last hour) it ascends the rock and perches on the edge in solid upwelling flow and feeds for the entire night (as far as I know... I'm yet to see it retracted at night, but obvs am not checking it constantly!).

I have amended the feeding schedule, to reflect this pattern. Instead of the hourly dosing I am now dosing the same amount of food, but only at night time (12 hour photoperiod, first and last hour on blues @ 1%). So I am dosing every 30 mins for 14 hours.

Nitrates have made an appearance as have phosphates... currently running at 30ppm no3 and 0.5ppm po4. Has been a very gradual increase and seems to have no adverse affect (including on my SPS, which is mainly montis). Being honest this wasn't intentional but with everything else going on I have been a little lax on WCs. I am using near on 500g of rowa per month and getting through biopellets significantly faster, so I'm guessing no3 and po4 production has about quadrupled.

Congratulations on the coming baby.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congrats on the baby

OP
OP
Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope it didn't die :(
Sorry... completely missed your previous reply! No, it's not dead :)

Just been too busy to keep this updated...

The FS seems to be doing well. I've not noticed any loss of arms or other issues. The only thing that does concern me is a complete lack of growth... this worries me a little as if it's not growing, my assumption is that it must be very slowly declining. I hope not!

kdc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, just caught up on the thread. Impressive job keeping the FS happy so long, especially with a new job and a new baby on the way. Congratulations on both! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back