Fed up with Apex

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL probably doesn't have a great distribution setup in the US. I think they try to go through their own single rep along with a handful of small e-commerce sites but that's not really a sustainable model.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/store/

Personally, I've just been using Alexa smart power strips, Wyze cams, Inkbirds, and AutoAqua smart plugs and it's been working great. When my SPS colonies grow out I plan to probably get a GHL system.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL probably doesn't have a great distribution setup in the US. I think they try to go through their own single rep along with a handful of small e-commerce sites but that's not really a sustainable model.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/store/

Personally, I've just been using Alexa smart power strips, Wyze cams, Inkbirds, and AutoAqua smart plugs and it's been working great. When my SPS colonies grow out I plan to probably get a GHL system.
Ghl online retail distribution is solid. Not sure why you think it's not sustainable?
They are also increasing their presence with marine depot.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd agree that the Apex does have some hardware issues. My leak probes do this all the time:

upload_2019-6-17_8-15-35.png

Absolutely no leak at all AND I also have them on a piece of paper towel to try to PREVENT the false "LEAK". It has gotten so bad, I actually just programmed another virtual outlet since I honestly cannot trust the sensors. At least I can feel a little better that I am not getting false-positives.

I like my Apex, but I do agree that it doesn't seem like they really are taking advice from us reefers and making changes that benefit us. Other companies are doing that more and more so only time will tell. I would have given GHL more thought, but not having that large of a US-base for the primary option for my tank wasn't ideal.

I guess you can say that if the Apex isn't working as it should what does the US-based support matter? Usually when something in our tanks go bad, it isn't pretty.

Crazy part to is that my Apex will not have any issues UNTIL I leave the house. Almost like it knows when I walk out the door.

Raptor777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m sitting here looking at my brand new Apex in the box that’s part of a new build. Not feeling so excited right now :/
I would return and get your money back if you can. Had nothing but problems with my Apex

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the apex because it was my impression that there was/is a more robust support community (at least here in the US). I did go with the GHL doser 2 and have been somewhat frustrated by the level of support (there is a years long bug in the software) though happy with the hardware. Apex is hardly perfect, though my issues are mostly minor stuff (false positives on sensors, occasional communications problems). I think with any controller - particularly one made with hobby-grade parts - you have to be smart about what you ask it to do. In that respect I've been happy enough with my gear.

U

User1

View Badges
With the amount of Neptune product BRS moves, I can't see that ever happening

What the company moves has nothing to do with it. You have no idea if GHL has reached out to them and asked if they can be a distributor let alone what the requirements for said distributor are. They are a retail business and they make money by moving products.

Come on - turn down the bias volume.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the amount of Neptune product BRS moves, I can't see that ever happening
What the company moves has nothing to do with it. You have no idea if GHL has reached out to them and asked if they can be a distributor let alone what the requirements for said distributor are. They are a retail business and they make money by moving products.

Come on - turn down the bias volume.

To me there seems to be a conspiracy theory everywhere on any thread that has to do with Neptune and BRS.

IMHO - BRS will sell the products on which they can make the most money (Which is at the end of the day - what companies do). It seems to me that many on this thread are implying that people are massively dumping their Neptune products to switch to GHL. If that were the case - how is BRS 'moving' so many Neptune products. I dont think people can have it both ways. Or?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that impresses you then I suggest you look at Kessil's assembly.
Yup I have seen it. It's also impressive
But remember kessil did not start with led for aquarium. Kessil had a whole buissness in LED manufacturing for other businesses before they venture in to led for aquariums.
To me it is really impressive that GHL have this ability solely for their line up..
Very cool..

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech recently did a tour (Not sure if they put out a copy but a larger number of others reefers were invited and documented it Inappropriate Reefer) they do assembly in house as well. This is a lot more common than I think people think.

Speaking of the LSM, make sure its what you really want (Lunar schedule) + It is a separate module to control 2 small blue LEDs in my case #modulecreep

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me there seems to be a conspiracy theory everywhere on any thread that has to do with Neptune and BRS.

IMHO - BRS will sell the products on which they can make the most money (Which is at the end of the day - what companies do). It seems to me that many on this thread are implying that people are massively dumping their Neptune products to switch to GHL. If that were the case - how is BRS 'moving' so many Neptune products. I dont think people can have it both ways. Or?

Don't be clouding the issue with facts and logic. I have this argument with a buddy of mine all the time. Two broad groups of people - those who find conspiracy theories amusing and those who find them compelling. I feel a great swell of pity for the latter … must be exhausting.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pure engineer's response to that. Has anyone turned off the Trident until it's time to do a test, then turned it back off later?
That would limit the number of tests per day... poetic justice if you use the Apex to switch the Trident's outlet off. [emoji6]

Exactly what I was thinking of doing. But the 4 times a day seems to be necessary to keep it calibrated

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back