Fed up with Apex

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get the 13,000 number for the waiting list?
hang on - I think it was one of the threads where someone was criticizing BRS -and they said they had 13,000 requests for product in a short period of time - thus explaining some of the issues with the website.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking at the GHL website, and I think I’m coming up with an initial package of what I need. Maybe some of you can interject with options of what will or won’t work.
P4 Ultimate set. Is there a difference between the P4 and the P4e?

2x 2.1 Dosers ( currently run Triton which eats up 4 heads, consistently having to add a couple of trace elements like iodine thus the other 4 heads, but may swap for another brand soon. Not happy with the change to dry components.)

2x extra power strips, possibly add a fourth. I have a bunch of stuff to plug in. 6 lights, 5 powerheads, returns, 2 heaters, skimmer, reactors, ect.. plus I assume each unit I buy.

Now this is where it gets a bit gray/grey for me. When I start looking at safety control. How well do the flow detectors work? Do they come in 1” or larger sizes and is there a particular “head” unit needed? As I start adding different sensors do I need a “break out box” as I like redundancy and like to double up on such things..?

Some of the things I would like to do are as follows:
Return Pump: if it dies or gets clogged ( snail or something) turn skimmer off, activate a pump to move % water from sump to an emergency holding container if water passes a certain level in the sump. Email alert. When return works again, skimmer turns on after 10 minutes, extra water is pumped back in to sump from emergency holding container.

If there is a power outage/flicker/bump, which can be common here in FL. Once power is returned, a start up sequence and an order of what turns on when. Email alert. Is this possible?

And other things I think are more of an on/off situation. Ph drops below a certain level, plug Z turns on activating air pump with CO2 scrubber type stuff...

I didn't see these questions answered. The P4e has built in probe connectors and 2 link connectors of some sort. (I cannot remember the name) So you can run temp and ph probes, but would need an add on card for a second probe.

For the dosers, you can do the slave models that are controlled by the P4(e)

I was looking at combining some outlets, like all lights from a single plug. They also have a weird looking DC power supply that can handle multiple units.

During my research, I think I saw that I would need a breakout box for my Kessils, but cannot comment as well a @Ditto can.

I think I made one of the points you are criticizing. My guess is lets say GHL is making x units last year. If this year they are making x*10,000 units - they will have 10,000 x the complaints as well.

This makes perfect sense to me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get the 13,000 number for the waiting list?

here is one quote from BRS - I sorry - am not going to look for it - there is a huge demand for the product. Just look at the posts here...

First, the thousand people trying to buy a limited quantity at the exact same microsecond caused a race in the inventory software which sold a few more than we had. This is not something that has comes up often as the industry doesn't see many launches like the Trident.

BTW - I may keep looking for the exact quote - but - im tired. another question - actually - why do you care - research it on your own?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
ShawnSaucier

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank Ditto , WWIII, Kyl , Ohashimz and the other GHL users for stepping up and informing me about the great possibilities of GHL Profilux. I think that there is a lot of good technology there and I hope that more information comes out, maybe even because of threads like these. It can only help the hobby if we know what’s out there and the differences between companies.
We can all agree to disagree as far as which system is better. I don’t think there is a specific answer. But like I stated before, out of all the messages and opinions on here, there are many that have been upset with Apex, but not one instance was mentioned of dropping GHL and swapping to Apex. I think that says a lot about the company and their product.
Of course, yes I am not making the switch at the moment. If you had the choice of spending $3-4K on a new system or a final attempt to fix your current with company support what would you choose? As excited as I was getting about doing the swap, part of me was dreading the amount of time the swap would take and what impact it could cause to my system during that time.
My next system, which is still in the planning phase, I will more than likely go GHL. I want to experience the difference and learn more about their process. But I also want to integrate the system early in the build so once the tank is wet I am not making modifications.
I hope that what the Apex rep stated was true and that they are trying to reverse the damage that has been done because of the poor customer service experience. I don’t think it’s right for someone to invest in a product and then be hit with a stone wall when the product doesn’t perform as it should. And that was the main point of my original post.
Good luck to everyone and thanks for taking part in this conversation.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank Ditto , WWIII, Kyl , Ohashimz and the other GHL users for stepping up and informing me about the great possibilities of GHL Profilux. I think that there is a lot of good technology there and I hope that more information comes out, maybe even because of threads like these. It can only help the hobby if we know what’s out there and the differences between companies.
We can all agree to disagree as far as which system is better. I don’t think there is a specific answer. But like I stated before, out of all the messages and opinions on here, there are many that have been upset with Apex, but not one instance was mentioned of dropping GHL and swapping to Apex. I think that says a lot about the company and their product.
Of course, yes I am not making the switch at the moment. If you had the choice of spending $3-4K on a new system or a final attempt to fix your current with company support what would you choose? As excited as I was getting about doing the swap, part of me was dreading the amount of time the swap would take and what impact it could cause to my system during that time.
My next system, which is still in the planning phase, I will more than likely go GHL. I want to experience the difference and learn more about their process. But I also want to integrate the system early in the build so once the tank is wet I am not making modifications.
I hope that what the Apex rep stated was true and that they are trying to reverse the damage that has been done because of the poor customer service experience. I don’t think it’s right for someone to invest in a product and then be hit with a stone wall when the product doesn’t perform as it should. And that was the main point of my original post.

I was going to edit some out and just quote a little bit, but I'm not. I'm on my iPad and lazy today. I want to bring up a point you made and kinda dip it in bronze so it stays. I'm hoping @Terence @Vinny@GHLUSA pays close attention to this. Look and search for threads, not here but every where. How many do you see switching to GHL? How many do you see leaving Neptune? How many say cheap Legos? How many do you see having problems with customer service? How many get the questions answered and helped out fast? As a business the foundation it's placed on is customer support.
Your actions carry far. I remember @Terence was telling people not to pay taxes when customers was talking about the price of it. Before the Rev scrubbed it cleaned. I'm sure you'll remember that thread.
Bottom line in this, if you can't support the customers, than you will run out of customers. IF you dont keep up and stay strong on support the tables will shift.

BTW. I'm Jeremy, and I too made the switch to GHL.

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ShawnSaucier, and thank you for starting this thread because it helped me think through my process to switch from Neptune Systems to GHL. I've purchased the Profilux 4 mega-set along with a slightly used KH director/doser combo. They have already arrived and I am excited about getting them set up. I don't feel rushed to switch everything over from the APEX as it is running more stable after I removed the faulty WAV pump. If anyone is in the NC area and wants to see the difference in build quality, just PM me. Again- thanks for starting the thread and I'm glad Neptune Systems is making things right for you.

Brian

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the amount of Neptune product BRS moves, I can't see that ever happening

You never know. They have videos on pretty much every lighting solution they carry. If once they do step up there GHL game I don't see why they wouldn't do a build with GHL.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know. They have videos on pretty much every lighting solution they carry. If once they do step up there GHL game I don't see why they wouldn't do a build with GHL.
Agreed. BRS been good keeping neutral position over the last 6 years or so. I think they also have learned with such fast moving industry it's a mistake betting on one vendor. They are becoming like Amazon. Stand at equal distance to all vendors and not wanting to link their reputation to one vendor only. At least that's what I am hoping.
remember, they also have increased competition...marine depot are doing well with their selection diversity, other smaller eretail players are growing as well. Finally look at ghl, they have their own online presence already...

Last edited:

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyBRS take notes here. See how many is dumping the Fisher price controller......

gerards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's a combination of hardware, product development and company behaviour that is making me switch. 1 can span any company, but #2 and especially #3 are entirely set by how they want to operate, the corporate culture.

The old adage, vote with your wallet, is what I'm doing in my situation.

This sums up why I made the switch to GHL

Last edited:

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a power hiccup in my area and wouldn’t you guess it my apex turned on everything that was plugged into it, even things that were turned off. End result around a gallon of water all over my wall and floor. Good thing I woke up late for work.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that true? You cant set it for less.

Its not true - its 4x/day.

I have a pure engineer's response to that. Has anyone turned off the Trident until it's time to do a test, then turned it back off later?
That would limit the number of tests per day... poetic justice if you use the Apex to switch the Trident's outlet off. [emoji6]

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pure engineer's response to that. Has anyone turned off the Trident until it's time to do a test, then turned it back off later?
That would limit the number of tests per day... poetic justice if you use the Apex to switch the Trident's outlet off. [emoji6]
The unit has to do a number of tests minimum per day in order to 'work right' but its an interesting idea

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back