FedEx is the devil

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really stressed right now and frankly... I just need to vent.
I ordered 4 anthias and a purple firefish from Blue Zoo Aquatics, my favorite online fish store. They shipped the package containing the fish to me priority overnight on Thursday set to arrive Friday morning by 10.30am. As I'm sure many of you have done, the morning of I checked the tracking and saw that it was in a state between BZA and myself and set to arrive on Monday even though it clearly stated overnight delivery. I called fedEx, as did BZA and the number of excuses that I've heard is absurd. FedEx told BZA that it was due to covid, while telling me a different reason each time ranging from 1) It was not put on the plane because there are an overabundance of packages right now due to the hurricane, 2) It missed its flight, 3) there's a backup in your state (this one was told to me before it even reached my state), 4) the shipper got it to us a day late....... Each time they told BZA or myself that they would get things taken care of and get it to us by no later than the following day, first that was Sat, then it was Sun, now of course, "No sir, it won't arrive to your house until Monday." The temperatures here have been very cold overnight, nearing freezing, while the anthia's high metabolism is sure to cause further problems. I'm distressed to say that I'm sure when the package arrives Monday it will be filled with beautiful but dead creatures.
*&%# FedEx.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. Over the past 6 or 7 years, I’ve had about a 50% failure rate on FedEx overnight commitments when it comes to livestock (oddly they never seem to lose stuff that wouldn’t die if it gets lost). I get annoyed whenever a seller uses them without another alternative. Most recently, I had a $300 fish that was priority overnighted go to two incorrect states before getting here, then going on a truck without being scanned so nobody could find it. I had to call them four times before the station finally contacted their drivers to find it, and prioritize delivering it to me before anyone else.

Amazingly, that fish survived, but it was on death’s door when it got here. Hopefully, BZA packaged it properly and they’ll arrive alive, but I share your loathing for fedex. That’s one I learned the hard way as well: never get overnight for Friday delivery.

side note: my best friend is a driver for fedex, and even he says they suck. Apparently, they’re severely understaffed and overworked right now. They’re hiring bare minimum holiday staffing. You can thank their fiduciary duty to shareholders for that. Anything to save a buck on their end.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fedex is pretty miserable ....the drivers are independent contractors that own their vehicles (the girl next door to me leases a penske truck) and routes so corporate doesnt have as much control over them as say UPS...any personal problem and your stuff just wont get there...if you live in a rural area they will wait till they have more stops in your area and not waste the gas on a single delivery

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fedex is pretty miserable ....the drivers are independent contractors that own their vehicles (the girl next door to me leases a penske truck) and routes so corporate doesnt have as much control over them as say UPS...any personal problem and your stuff just wont get there...if you live in a rural area they will wait till they have more stops in your area and not waste the gas on a single delivery
My best friend is a driver for fedex. That’s not entirely accurate. Express drivers are definitely corporate employees. I think the temporary Ground service drivers are contractors who rent trucks, as I have seen those Penske trucks deliver to my house. He’s definitely not a contracted employee though and drives one of their fleet vehicles.

Last edited:

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the pandemic hit, FedEx took a nosedive. I was getting 50% delayed packages with FedEx. I switched to UPS and have had less than 5% delays, at a lower price.

By the way, they also don't guarantee package delivery times so the "insurance" is not useful. They won't pay insurance claims as long as the package makes it there eventually. And as soon as you file a claim they have a funny habit of suddenly "finding" the lost package.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the shipper insure your package ? If they did, I would get them to make good on it.

Blue Zoo has an Arrive alive guarantee. We spoke Friday when things started to look like there could be a problem. I've used them exclusively for the last year and I'm certain that they'll make things right.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We aren't in the heart of the city, but we're definitely not rural. FedEx just seems to fail constantly. I had a friend who worked for the company for 7 years and the place is a total mess internally too.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me and my lionfish spent an extra night in another state. BZA packs the fish really well and he arrived fine like nothing had happened.
So have hope.

Yes Fedex sucks.
Thanks for sharing this. I'm definitely concerned that it will be 3-4 days total time in a box, but I'm glad to know that yours did well. It gives me a little more hope.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HONESTLY FEDEX IS THE WORST I ordered one to be held at there facility because every time I get it shipped to my house they mess it up and when I get to there facility they rag me out saying they can’t hold live animals l

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really sorry to hear that, OP. I’m holding out hope for you and the fish.

Interestingly, I have much better luck with FedEx than UPS in my area, but I think that’s just down to their routes, nothing to do with mis-sorts and such. FedEx is here by 10 or 11 AM, while UPS isn’t here until 6 or 7 PM. I just lost a rainbow chalice to UPS due to this :/

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HONESTLY FEDEX IS THE WORST I ordered one to be held at there facility because every time I get it shipped to my house they mess it up and when I get to there facility they rag me out saying they can’t hold live animals l
I get that companies need to make deals with FedEx, UPS, and/or USPS to get better rates, but man! I wish that more companies would let you choose between one or the other. UPS isn't perfect, but I have FAR fewer problems with them than FedEx! I can't believe that FedEx would tell you that they can't hold live animals. I'm not surprised, but I'd just ignore them personally and keep doing it.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Zoo has an Arrive alive guarantee. We spoke Friday when things started to look like there could be a problem. I've used them exclusively for the last year and I'm certain that they'll make things right.
I’m glad to read this. I just ordered my first fish from BZA on Thursday. It’s shipping out on Monday, and I’m looking forward to seeing how they do.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really sorry to hear that, OP. I’m holding out hope for you and the fish.

Interestingly, I have much better luck with FedEx than UPS in my area, but I think that’s just down to their routes, nothing to do with mis-sorts and such. FedEx is here by 10 or 11 AM, while UPS isn’t here until 6 or 7 PM. I just lost a rainbow chalice to UPS due to this :/

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about that. I've got my fingers crossed too.
It would be awesome if there was a company that specialized in transporting live animals, but I can't think of how the logistics would work out. Too much space to cover and not enough demand for shipment.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad to read this. I just ordered my first fish from BZA on Thursday. It’s shipping out on Monday, and I’m looking forward to seeing how they do.
I'll make sure to update this when they arrive and let everyone know their status at arrival and a day or two after.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish arrived. Unfortunately, one anthia and the starfish were dead. The bags were pretty cold and the pH had dropped to about 7.4 in the bags. One anthia was gasping for air at the top of the bag.
I acclimated for 2 hours via drip after floating for 20 minutes. The firefish goby looks kinda banged up - he's just laying on the sand bed and honestly he look like his spine is a little crooked.

So my overall opinion is that FedEx still sucks, but I'm impressed than any of the fish arrived alive. I think kudos go to Blue Zoo Aquatics for superb shipping methods. Hope this helps alleviate some of the stress that others may be enduring when waiting for a late shipment.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish arrived. Unfortunately, one anthia and the starfish were dead. The bags were pretty cold and the pH had dropped to about 7.4 in the bags. One anthia was gasping for air at the top of the bag.
I acclimated for 2 hours via drip after floating for 20 minutes. The firefish goby looks kinda banged up - he's just laying on the sand bed and honestly he look like his spine is a little crooked.

So my overall opinion is that FedEx still sucks, but I'm impressed than any of the fish arrived alive. I think kudos go to Blue Zoo Aquatics for superb shipping methods. Hope this helps alleviate some of the stress that others may be enduring when waiting for a late shipment.
That really sucks... I’m sorry to hear it. Those poor fish don’t deserve to suffer because FedEx can’t keep their commitments.

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a good fedex laugh, take a look at this tracking history for a package I'm waiting for today.
1603129611131.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back