Feed a Mandarin

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky in figuring out a way to feed my Mandarin. He spend a couple of months in a 10 gal. isolation tank, where I was able to introduce him to the "feeding bowl." It started out as a copy of another's method of feeding live baby brine, but that did not seem to work very well. I figured it might be good at keeping the food together, as opposed to scattering around the tank.

He learned to get to frozen brine in the bowl. Now that he is in my DT (55 gal.) he just lays around in the bowl eating. As the other fish are not familiar with the "bowl" they tend to stay away from it. I remove the bowl when it is obvious he is full.

Youtube:

He may graze all day, as I am doing all I can to increase rotifers and tisbe's, but he is eating one square meal a day. Yes, I've read people say "that is not how they feed in natural setting." Yeah, well my living room is not a natural setting ; )

On a side note, the oldest fish in my tank is an ocellaris clown in her 29th year. Here she is laying an egg nest. Yes, she is swimming upside down:

Good luck!
john

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff. Great that you got the mandarin to eat.

And welcome to R2R!
welcome 3.jpg

I have a question. You have a 29 year old clownfish and you've only been here at R2R for a month? How'd that happen? LOL! Just kidding, but if there is a story to be told, I'd like to hear it.

calvertc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is perfect good job!! It was hard to get my two mandarins eating frozen but now they eat anything frozen i throw in the tank. I have a similar method but i use melvs reef feeder idea in that I use an olive jar so that other fish cant get in it and I set it in the bottom of the tank and fill it fill frozen food multiple times a day.

OP
OP
av8

av8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW ... Calvert can I see a photo of that? I like it!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back