Feeding a new BTA

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

So i got an RBTA 4 days ago, acllimated him for about an hour and then put him in the tank. He moved overnight and the next day he found his spot and hasn't moved since. He looks settled in and I was wondering if I cpuld feed him now. Paramaters are all pretty stable with
Alk swinging between 8.7 to 9
Calcium at 490-500
Nitrates around 25 ppm
Phos - I don't have a test kit
Ph = 7.8 (quite low but hasn't changed in months)
Salinity = 1.025

That's the BTA an hour before peak light. He extends probably another inch when fully open.

20210114_111925.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful nem! I think it would be fine to feed it. I dont think it a good idea to gut load it right now but a little food would be fine. I fed mine the day after adding it.

Bajie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are the pieces you are feeding daily?
I have an RBTA which has stayed in the same spot for two weeks since i added to tank
Fed a a small piece of prawn today followed by another small piece 30mins later
Looking at the anemone, it has not spat the food out and is still in situ, albeit hidden more into the rock slightly.
I want the anemone to grow, but i was thinking of feeding every other day to facilitate this.
I am thinking a small piece every day will be better and less stressful

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are the pieces you are feeding daily?
I have an RBTA which has stayed in the same spot for two weeks since i added to tank
Fed a a small piece of prawn today followed by another small piece 30mins later
Looking at the anemone, it has not spat the food out and is still in situ, albeit hidden more into the rock slightly.
I want the anemone to grow, but i was thinking of feeding every other day to facilitate this.
I am thinking a small piece every day will be better and less stressful
Yes, small pieces are better. Corals and anemones can choke if the pieces are too big so be careful! Feeding 5 small pieces at the same time is the same as 1 really big piece so they can still choke if you do that. If the pieces are too big, they might also have issues passing waste (they get constipated) so small pieces are definitely the way to go!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful nem! Shame mine died (Doctor Tims Waste Away happened). I would feed it every maybe week, or even 3 days. Took a little syringe, sucked up some mysis, spot fed it a small bit. They eat so much faster than corals!

OP
OP
drewwCh

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a beautiful nem! Shame mine died (Doctor Tims Waste Away happened). I would feed it every maybe week, or even 3 days. Took a little syringe, sucked up some mysis, spot fed it a small bit. They eat so much faster than corals!
Thank you! I'm sorry yours died. Yeah I saw mine eat the piece of shrimp in just seconds!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm sorry yours died. Yeah I saw mine eat the piece of shrimp in just seconds!
Keep salinity under check. I let mine get wayyyy too high, lost my cyphastrea and my BTA, and two of my torch heads. Torch is rehabbing slowly...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back