Feeding a timid flame hawk

carnthetiges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a flame hawk to my tank 5 days ago which already has a clown and a dottyback.
Looks to have settled in ok, no bullying that i've seen. Spends a lot of time perching on a powerhead or some live rock at the back of the tank.

My issue is getting it to join in at feeding time.
When i get too close to the tank it skips off to an inaccessible area at the back of the tank, seems oblivious it's feeding time.

I feed a frozen shrimp mix every second day with powerheads off so nothing goes to waste.
I've now bumped that up to everyday and have kept the powerheads on with the hope that it sees the food flying around (hasn't helped so far).

Should i be concerned, is there any other method to coax feeding?
Have heard they're normally pigs, is it just a matter of giving it more time to get used to my presence near the tank?

Cheers

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate flake, pellets, and anything frozen you put in there. I think yours will come around (unless it’s actually sick). But I think to help trigger it’s feeding response, keep the pump swirling the food around— Brine if he’s small, Mysis if he’s bigger.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of a timid Flame Hawk lol. They will hide and dart out to grab food during a feeding frenzy....normally don't come out and feed like other fish. I would either leave the powerheads on to blow the food around or feed in multiple areas of the tank. He will get more pushy as time goes on.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a longnosed hawk (named Moe). He would look at the flake go by like he was hungry but did not know what to do with the flake. After about three days of him ignoring flakes and pellets, I tried target feeding mysis. That was the trick. I have to put it in a pipette and dispense in his vicinity. That he gobbled up. At least its eating now. I can address the picky behavior over time.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back