Feeding acros

BuddyVanDoodle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone broadcast feed roids or reef chili? I’ve been doing chili, phyto, and brightwell aminos. I’d like to know If there isn’t a point in the reef chili or if anyone else has had noticeable growth with it. I’ve been searching and searching online and can’t find anything specific to reef chili for sps. Thanks for the input!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put me in the camp of "it doesn't do anything" for acropora. Some people swear that it does. However, when most of these people stop, few see stuff drop off and even fewer results when the start again. This is all anecdotal, along with my observations... there is no real-deal science on this.

What I do know for sure is that today's hot supplement is tomorrows joke, but the delivery/punchline has been the same over the years. DTs Phytoplankton, Essential Elements, Marine Snow, Cyclops, etc. all were sworn to work by some and yet nearly nobody uses them now. The hot supplement in a few years might be Kryptonite Cuisine or Vibranium Feast and people will make fun of Aminos, Reef Roids and Chili products... and the cycle continues.

There are other things in the tank that might be able to use these and I would tend to think that pods/microcreatures and some single cell stuff in the water column or on the surfaces that could break them down. However, I don't know how this benefits the acros.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really specific to acros .
but all corals .

fish poop is essential .
feed your fish good and they will feed your corals .

in addition to feeding fish ,
I dose phytoplankton , zoo plankton every couple days .
To battle excessively high nutrients is the downside of reef roids etc

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there is a direct benefit to acros feeding, for example, reef roids, but I do think it can have an indirect benefit in a few circumstances. I think the circumstance you would benefit from, which I personally do, is feeding reef roids if you have chronically low phosphate. My phosphate is always low, and I feed a little scoop of reefroids every night to boost it a bit and keep it slightly above zero. I believe dosing something like reef roids (which will breakdown to ammonia/ammonium and ultimately phosphate), rather than dosing phosphate, encourages more growth. Of course increased feedings of any food will accomplish this, reef roids just dose it quicker because of the speed at which it breaks down (fine particulates). So basically what I’m trying to say... if you aren’t using it as a source to raise nutrient levels, I don’t think there is enough evidence to support it boosting growth.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that exploded in my tank when feeding all those powdered foods, was vermetid snails.

I have since stopped feeding my corals, and upped my fish count. I now let the fish "fertilize" my corals.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back