Feeding Clownfish

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 percula clownfish I've had for around 3 weeks. When I first got them, I did like 5 minutes of research and decided to get Hikari S, and it obviously has been working since they're living, but living and thriving have two different definitions...
I was planning on switching to the Hikari frozen mysis cubes and feeding those for 4-5 days out of the week, and then feeding TDO chroma or PE Mysis (or both?) on the days I don't feed mysis.
I currently feed Hikari S every day, and would do the same with this different diet.

Definitely going to switch to the mysis cubes, but I just want some opinions on switching to TDO chroma/PE Mysis over Hikari S. Thanks!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how well PE Mysis would work as a primary feed, but PE Mysis and TDO Chroma Boost together should be a pretty good diet. The food below are what I've seen people use as main feeds for breeding clowns (it can be as complex or simple as you want it to be):
from what I've seen with others, I'd recommend trying LRS Fertility Frenzy, black worms, and NLS or TDO pellets (Otohime is a proven brand too, but it seems to have fallen out of favor somewhat in recent months/years) for the food.
Paul B fed clams and blackworms and had spawning

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concept of nutrients in food suggests that a diet with a diverse selection of prey items has the potential to provide the nutrition that is needed to thrive v. Survive.

The problem with cubes is that one has enough food for a couple of “Thanksgiving feasts” for volume but nutrients are still a big question with just a single cube source, imo.

Making your own foods using fresh ingredients is a superior way to address nutrition but that is a pain to accomplish.

There are frozen foods that attempt to provide this and I would recommend them if you can get them?
Over feeding a tank is a big problem imo that creates more problems than feeding our fish very lightly, ime.

“Hotdogs again?” Don’t let your fish suffer with dietary boredom.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of food, but I think the best diet is a varied diet. For pellets I use the Hikari marine s, dki, pe mysis, Hikari extreme seaweed. For flake I have cobalt aquatics spiraling and (regular?) Flakes, omega one marine flakes. I have a variety pack of frozen foods too.

Most days the fish get flake in morning, pellets when i get home from work and either a little more flake or a little frozen. My adhd might have taken me a bit off topic here... but, for what it's worth, the marine s pellets are one of my favorites to use. I have a frozen food dispenser ring and the marine pellets slowly disperse. Compared to most others that immediately sink. So I would use your new food along side the hikari you already have :)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krill, Mysis, brine, blood worms,and reef frenzy.
Pellets and pastes, there not usually picky.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how well PE Mysis would work as a primary feed, but PE Mysis and TDO Chroma Boost together should be a pretty good diet. The food below are what I've seen people use as main feeds for breeding clowns (it can be as complex or simple as you want it to be):
I was planning to combine both and use that, rather than one or the other. Thanks!

My biggest concern is feeding just right. I don't want to feed too much since I'm only on an AIO 20 Cube, but I don't want to feed too little and cause malnutrition. I do have a skimmer setup, so I'm not too worried about overfeeding, especially with water changes, but still keep it in the back of my head.
I figure I can't screw up that bad with feeding, so I'm not freaking out about it.
Planning on adding a tailspot blenny and firefish, but haven't put too much research into their diets, although I know the blenny will be mainly herbivorous. I'll be researching accordingly once I'm closer to putting them in. But for now, I'm probably going to get what I said I was going with (mysis cubes, pe mysis flakes, tdo chroma) and then I'll alternate between all the options I have available.
Thanks, everyone!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to combine both and use that, rather than one or the other. Thanks!
Sorry, I should have clarified, I was meaning that I’d feed both, but I’d feed either a roughly equal amount of both or more of the TDO. So, I’d do the TDO as the main feed and supplement it with the mysis rather than the other way around (I interpreted your stated plan as feeding mysis most days or every day and TDO only 2-3 times a week; I would personally feed the TDO or a similar food daily because the TDO - having more variety of ingredients - is likely to be a more nutritionally balanced food than just mysis).

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should have clarified, I was meaning that I’d feed both, but I’d feed either a roughly equal amount of both or more of the TDO. So, I’d do the TDO as the main feed and supplement it with the mysis rather than the other way around (I interpreted your stated plan as feeding mysis most days or every day and TDO only 2-3 times a week; I would personally feed the TDO or a similar food daily because the TDO - having more variety of ingredients - is likely to be a more nutritionally balanced food than just mysis).
Ahh, gotcha, thank you for the clarification

Back