Feeding Copepods

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have two clown gobies (yellow and green) in my 10 Gallon.
The yellow is unsurprisingly very sociable and takes to food. (I’m trying to wean it off of live foods to processed and frozen tips would be appreciated)

The green clown goby however is sometimes gone the whole day. He doesn’t come out when I feed the yellow.

Because I feed live copepods will he be able to get some of that when they go hide?

He’s out other days, peaking his head out of rocks and corals and such, but sometimes he’s gone for 4-5 days at a time.

I just worry this little guy will get enough food. But to be honest, they’ve both only been here for two weeks or so.

If y’all have tips on getting him out more, or feeding him more I’d appreciate them.

Thanks.

C85FA627-3D7F-4B16-BC49-730F6A7899FC.jpeg 641D430E-28D4-4B00-8A9A-FA1B94950FAF.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Before addressing the pods for which Phytoplankton added at night is their food source. . . . You have another issue that needs to be fixed. The brown snotty looking stuff in the pics are dino. It needs to be addressed before it becomes a nightmare.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they will eat pods if the pods come to them lol. They not hunters of pods like some other fish. Mine really seemed to like frozen calanus though. The very small size meant it flowed all over tank and the more aggressive fish could not eat it all before some flowed in front of the goby.

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry guys I found the green one dead this morning. He was perfectly active just a day ago. He’s definitely wild caught, which might have something to do with it. Just such an out of nowhere death, especially cause all the other inhabitants are doing well. I just hope it isn’t something transferable.

(I know it’s dino, it’s on the decline. It’s just over one rock and my emerald crab likes eating it. I like the the look of algae on rock. It doesn’t bother my corals.)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed my clown goby frozen cyclops, it loved them. There is also can o cyclops but thats harder to find. You can also try micro pellets

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry guys I found the green one dead this morning. He was perfectly active just a day ago. He’s definitely wild caught, which might have something to do with it. Just such an out of nowhere death, especially cause all the other inhabitants are doing well. I just hope it isn’t something transferable.

(I know it’s dino, it’s on the decline. It’s just over one rock and my emerald crab likes eating it. I like the the look of algae on rock. It doesn’t bother my corals.)
Oh and I’ll try that frozen Calanus for the yellow.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it doesn't matter at this point, but I'll add in my two cents anyway. If you were asking specifically about them eating pods, I don't know. However, if you were just trying to get them (or at least that one) to eat at all, it's worth trying different foods. I have two clowns in one tank and a Royal Gramma in another.
One clown likes mysis, the other two will take it or leave it.
The two clowns like TDO Chroma boost, the Gramma, not so much.
The Gramma loves Sustainable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet, the clown fish are kinda 'meh' about it.

LRS Fish Frenzy....I swear all the fish can smell that as soon as it comes out of the fridge. It's the only one I've found that they all love, they all come out from wherever they're hiding from and they'll all devour in few seconds. In fact, putting that in the Gramma tank is about the only time I get to see that fish.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to feed my clown goby frozen cyclops, it loved them. There is also can o cyclops but thats harder to find. You can also try micro pellets
We have can o' cyclops that can be purchased individually or with our mandarin feeder kit. It has a long shelf life if unopened but opened around a week. A lot of people will make their own frozen flat pack with it when feeding a small tank/small amount of fish. Usually picky eaters love it!

https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/aquarium-supplies/foods/canned/can-o-cyclops/

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to feed them different stuff. Gonna try the frozen mysis of course, but I’ll try that fish Frenzy.
my main issue is just getting the fish to recognize it’s food. I feed living and non-living from the same little medicine syringe, to try and get some cause and effect, but I don’t know if that’s effective. I really just don’t wanna have them rely on live cyclops forever.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back