Feeding fry

30yrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi every one sorry in advance if this has been covered some were else on the site but i have a breeding pair of Redfin Anthias. i have so far been unable to keep them for more than a week i have now got the babies separated but have no idea what to feed them.
Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

OP
OP
30yrs

30yrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen marine dinner, so i stated this morning instead of thawing it i held it in over the babies and rubbed it and tiny bits came of and the fry/larvae went mad for it so fingers crossed that it works.
i seem to be in uncharted waters as there is no info any were plenty about Clowns but not Anthias.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget his name but there is researcher out of hawaii who has managed to breed butterflies successfully. A lot of his research will apply to this similar platonic eating fry. I believe they were semilarvatus for the google search.

OP
OP
30yrs

30yrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else told me the same thing about the butterflies being successfully breed but haven't been able to find any info. i think the main challenge i have is that this is all going on in my little 4ft home aquarium and not in a million dollar facility.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For keeping live food do not need a huge facility:)

Recently had to clean all my cultures out but i use this very simple system, switching to glass bottles i cut..
c68c160ab470c61f51e6ac9c76340675.jpg

The temp controller is linked to the grow lights.

OP
OP
30yrs

30yrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool that's something i should consider

OP
OP
30yrs

30yrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i think they are live bearers as i just get babies in the tank hiding in the overflow box and under a piece of rock that i can see from the side of the tank.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i think they are live bearers as i just get babies in the tank hiding in the overflow box and under a piece of rock that i can see from the side of the tank.

Have any pictures of the fry? Perhaps we can id the species.
There are not many live bearing fish, botolids(probably spelled that wrong). Are the only species i have seen in the trade at any regularity. Most likely some eggs were present on rocks or frag etc.

OP
OP
30yrs

30yrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best i have, but last night after the tank had been in darkness for about an hour i went looking for more with a torch and found a hole lot more babies hiding in rock crevices last night a lot bigger then the ones in the vid and they are a pail red/orange color so now i'm thinking they maybe from my clowns that are hosting an anemone that's facing the back of the tank so if they are laying eggs i would be able to see them. with the number of babies in the tank i'm convinced that one or more will survive long enough for me to identify them.
IMG_0862 (2).JPG
IMG_0862 (2).JPG
Not sure if this has uploaded the video

OP
OP
30yrs

30yrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update on the babies i have found babies all though the tank hiding in the crevices in the rock work sum are a lot bigger than others and i'm starting to think that they are clowns and not Anthias as i all so have a pair of purcula clowns, but what ever they are there getting bigger. I have bought a bottle of mixed Copepods that i will be adding to the tank tonight fingers crossed they help feed them. I'm going to need a second tank setup just for the babies if they get big enough.
please Let me know if this is something you all want to hear about and i will keep updating.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are pelagic spawners releasing eggs in to the water column. What you are seeing are young mysid shrimp

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish and invertebrates have a platonic stage (including clowns and anthias) where they just float around in the currant (they don't hide). What you are seeing are a healthy bunch of mysid, amphipods and copepods.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back