Feeding microbes

BRS
First Choice

KrisReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Nope, I just let them clean up the crumbs I drop and they stay out of site and do their thing.

OP
Jon Malkerson

Jon Malkerson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So the reason I ask is it seems I have a lot of detritus building up. I know there are different microbes in lawns than the reef tank but I just used a mix of beer, dish soap and ammonia on my lawn and it made a big difference. There has to be a mixture of things that will feed the microbes in the tank to help with over feeding-fertilizing.
6529C451-6CCD-45A1-88E3-BFE6B83500D3.png

Fritz

KrisReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, and no! (Momma gonna roll over in her grave she her's a prayer of me wasting a beer on the lawn!)

The issue of build-up of detritus in our tanks seems to be more closely related to thatch in the lawn. The article mentions a thatch rake, I'd suggest siphoning the detritus and blasting the rock (powerhead, basting tool, etc) are more like using the thatch rake to remove excess funk from the habitat.

But if you do decide to put something in the tank, please, for the sake of mom, do not waste beer (or Vodka- come to think of it) or dish soap in your tank. :) There have been a few mentions in threads about adding mud (mud=microbes + mineral dirt) to our tanks to improve the microbe population diversity, so I do think there is something "there" but specifically what that is isn't very well understood. Terrestrial ecosystems have many years of study because they are easier for air breathers to access and replicate in the lab or at a university study farm.

The other interesting thing about the beer + dish soap + ammonia is that the ammonia is fertilizer which is food for the microbes but so is the thatch? I don't see the article making much more sense than I am, before coffee and after a sleepless night worrying about ordering my new reef thatch rake, which I have not designed yet?

Yes, there is something here there.

OP
Jon Malkerson

Jon Malkerson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just for fun I added 1/2 can of beer some dish soap and ammonia to about three gallons of sump water. So is detritus just garbage or can I harvest it and cultivate it then feed it back to the tank? I don’t plan on using this batch but maybe setup some outside experiments.
A00856A8-8DD6-4B98-AC4D-3F60D2B62A51.jpeg
9DC02C8F-E9FA-4318-9D94-F9C53D08C7AD.jpeg
E392A609-E7E7-4FF8-AA13-C136B1A1DFDF.jpeg

OP
Jon Malkerson

Jon Malkerson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, and no! (Momma gonna roll over in her grave she her's a prayer of me wasting a beer on the lawn!)

The issue of build-up of detritus in our tanks seems to be more closely related to thatch in the lawn. The article mentions a thatch rake, I'd suggest siphoning the detritus and blasting the rock (powerhead, basting tool, etc) are more like using the thatch rake to remove excess funk from the habitat.

But if you do decide to put something in the tank, please, for the sake of mom, do not waste beer (or Vodka- come to think of it) or dish soap in your tank. :) There have been a few mentions in threads about adding mud (mud=microbes + mineral dirt) to our tanks to improve the microbe population diversity, so I do think there is something "there" but specifically what that is isn't very well understood. Terrestrial ecosystems have many years of study because they are easier for air breathers to access and replicate in the lab or at a university study farm.

The other interesting thing about the beer + dish soap + ammonia is that the ammonia is fertilizer which is food for the microbes but so is the thatch? I don't see the article making much more sense than I am, before coffee and after a sleepless night worrying about ordering my new reef thatch rake, which I have not designed yet?

Yes, there is something here there.
Yes I have added microbes from a few different vendors and I have an order coming next week from Hawaii. That’s why I’m cleaning what I can before the live sand and stuff comes. I’m going to do more de thatching today and setup four one gallon jars with the detritus. Is there anything you recommend I add to them that is reef safe? I already started a Phyto tank with just old water and f2 fertilizer a few weeks ago.
4985C31B-404A-4CCF-B5CA-5507A32DBC5F.jpeg

MotorCityCorals

KrisReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah I was only going to use ammonia in one jar, Coca-Cola in another, Seachem reef plus in another and Brightwell Razor in the last.
Coca cola, Really?
? (I use muriatic for some applications-really!) ?

Edit,

I have to drive this morning and didn't scroll up to see the other responses.

I'm too lazy to phyto culture but I might quit my job and get busy doing this kind of fun stuff, but not today!

OH, great thread on microbe enhancement- I think the future reef will be more microbe focused and more successful for even more species because of it. :) Gotta fly!

Last edited:
OP
Jon Malkerson

Jon Malkerson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
8 drops of ammonia in one jar, 3.3ml Razor in one, 4ml reef plus in one. How much Coca Cola should I add to the last one?
1C61DB5D-1CD0-45EE-84A8-DA1137C944C6.jpeg

OP
Jon Malkerson

Jon Malkerson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Little update: I didn’t use Coca Cola, I left one with nothing. The jar I added ammonia is looking the best.
71D9AE9C-EFAF-4E5C-B12C-BC726A54347F.jpeg
F4F151C9-23C6-4568-8C9F-286D41E22F29.jpeg
15EA917F-8159-49FE-9527-7A6B28DF4404.jpeg
B4AA81CB-E17E-4676-8B40-E0EAE95BFCF5.jpeg
B99B853A-9244-4D7B-90EE-39C57A9242BE.jpeg

BRS
BRS

WHAT DOES THE TERM "GOOD WATER QUALITY" MEAN TO YOU?

• Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by consumer level water tests

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by ICP type testing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how your corals are growing and look

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how little nuisance algae is growing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how it looks to you

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 1 16.7%
Reef Breeders