Feeding Reef Roids

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often should I feed reef roids? I know they can increase your phosphate so I only use a little and keep a close eye on it....right now in my 10 gallon nano tank I have 3 SPS 1 LPS and zoas plus a sun coral and clam

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed reef roids 3-4x weekly, but keep an eye on nitrate and phosphate. I had to dose nitrates as they kept bottoming out, but managing to keep them up around 5ppm now, with phosphates maintaining around 0.05ppm. I feed all my fish and corals way more frequently than a lot of people (a lot of corals are spotfed daily, and the fish 4-5x daily). You just have to have a good skimmer and good refugium growth to take out all the excess nutrients. It gives the coral and fish better color, growth, and in the case of the fish behavior as well, at least IMO.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try spotfeeding more frequently but I just have to keep in mind it's a nano with no skimmer
Just monitor your numbers daily and adjust based on that. If I know I'm doing a water change, I tend to heavily spotfeed a few hours beforehand. Helps clean up any excess left behind.

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed reef roids 3-4x weekly, but keep an eye on nitrate and phosphate. I had to dose nitrates as they kept bottoming out, but managing to keep them up around 5ppm now, with phosphates maintaining around 0.05ppm. I feed all my fish and corals way more frequently than a lot of people (a lot of corals are spotfed daily, and the fish 4-5x daily). You just have to have a good skimmer and good refugium growth to take out all the excess nutrients. It gives the coral and fish better color, growth, and in the case of the fish behavior as well, at least IMO.
What skimmer do you have?

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed a pinch a day. Everything seems to be extra happy when I do. I know they can contribute to nitrate/phosphate but if they aren’t an issue I think coral foods are great
do you have a nano tank? So you're just grabbing a pinch and putting it in the tank or are you mixing it with the tank water and then using a turkey baster?

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a nano tank? So you're just grabbing a pinch and putting it in the tank or are you mixing it with the tank water and then using a turkey baster?
Nope my system is about ~115 total gallons. If you have a nano definitely scale that way down. I put it in right in front of the return pump to quickly disperse it across the tank

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope my system is about ~115 total gallons. If you have a nano definitely scale that way down. I put it in right in front of the return pump to quickly disperse it across the tank
LOL hard to scale down a pinch haha but yeah I just ordered the seachem measuring spoon so that should help

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL hard to scale down a pinch haha but yeah I just ordered the seachem measuring spoon so that should help
Haha yeah, oops. That, or just feed it less frequently as well. Only a few times a week is still helpful. And as always, watch your nutrients, if they rise unacceptably then of course cut back

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back