Feeding your Nem? Stop and read this first.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone’s have a symbiotic relationship with something they host and it’s not Clownfish. Just like many of our tank inhabitants, Anemone’s play host to an algae called Zooxanthellae (Zoos from here forward). The Anemone provides a safe place for the algae to grow and survive, in exchange the anemone benefits from the oxygen and sugars

WK5fwLM.png

Ok that’s great but what does that have to do with feeding our anemones? Essentially the Zoos inside our nems are not limited by the amount of food we feed the host anemone. Now don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t mean our nems don’t “need” to eat. We all know something has to feed that Algae, usually some type of phosphate. Where many make the mistake is it has been observed and theorized that the Zoos get enough organics from the natural sea water environment that they don’t need to be fed to keep the Zoos at a stable level.

TGozxZw.png

Ok, but surely feeding your Anemone can have some benefit correct? The answer to that is yes. Essentially you can help speed up the growth of your Anemone with feeding, but there is a limit.

ZX1Kgzd.png

Ok so does it hurt to feed too much? The answer is nobody honestly knows, but essentially all you are doing is adding more ammonia to the tank which needs to be processed and the anemone and it’s hosted Zoos are gaining nothing from your feeding.

So at this point you’re probably asking yourself

“How often should you feed?”

I’ve personally not found the scientific or anecdotal evidence to give EXACT 100% accurate numbers, but here are the recommendations I would make:

If your only interest is to ensure your Anemone has enough N & P that the parameters of your tank are not inhibiting it’s growth, feed once a month.

aTPnmLv.png

If your intent is to grow the anemone and try to accelerate or at least fuel your anemone to the max to achieve best possible growth rates, feed once a week.

I’ll cover what to feed and how much in another post at a later time, but both science and testimonials of hobbyists tells us you don’t have to feed at all if you don’t want to AND you can definitely feed too much.

Source: A Biology of Sea Anemones by J. Malcom Shick

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robin Haselden here you go as promised.

#reefsquad please ensure we are making recommendations to reefers new to anemones around these parameters.

Thanks @Amoo. Good read.
I definitely gave my nem too much with that hunk of squid. It was folded in half and when he was moving the squid to it's mouth, it opened up and almost covered the whole disk. It managed to eat the whole thing but the next day it looked like crap. I'm gonna let it rest for a while and go back to feeding my frozen mix I have. It's blended cod, scallop, shrimp and oyster. the oyster is mostly mush and dissolves in the tank but I grab a chunk of something meaty and set it on his tentacles.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Amoo. Good read.
I definitely gave my nem too much with that hunk of squid. It was folded in half and when he was moving the squid to it's mouth, it opened up and almost covered the whole disk. It managed to eat the whole thing but the next day it looked like crap. I'm gonna let it rest for a while and go back to feeding my frozen mix I have. It's blended cod, scallop, shrimp and oyster. the oyster is mostly mush and dissolves in the tank but I grab a chunk of something meaty and set it on his tentacles.

My personal "rule of thumb" has two parts to it. If you're brodcast feeding your tank with chopped goodies, the nem is likely to catch some of that and eat it. If you're going to directly and purposely feed it I try to limit the size of what I am feeding to 2-3 times the size of the nems mouth while fully closed. Again I'll do more on food types and amounts at a later date.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to feed my new bubble tip anemone a quarter cube of food daily to try to get it to not move from its current spot . . . no idea if it's helping or not, but it makes me feel better! :rolleyes:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to feed my new bubble tip anemone a quarter cube of food daily to try to get it to not move from its current spot . . . no idea if it's helping or not, but it makes me feel better! :rolleyes:

If it wants to move, its going to move. Mine had moved twice in two months, once two inches to the right, them it moved back. Then it moved two inches up and had stayed there. I haven't fed in a week, still looks happy.

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does it mean if my flower anemone keeps expelling poop-like substance? Two days in a row. Thanks

probably unhappy about something in the tank, parameters, lighting, food...etc,. Should probably start a thread with pertinent info so we can help you.

Mikeinthekeys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does it mean if my flower anemone keeps expelling poop-like substance? Two days in a row. Thanks

As with all other living creatures, We intake nutrients and expel waste. Do you think maybe this is what you are witnessing? How often do you feed?

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all other living creatures, We intake nutrients and expel waste. Do you think maybe this is what you are witnessing? How often do you feed?
T only gets fed if it grabs something by itself when I feed my one fish that is in with it. I also have another flower nem that isn’t expelling anything, just the one little guy.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone’s have a symbiotic relationship with something they host and it’s not Clownfish. Just like many of our tank inhabitants, Anemone’s play host to an algae called Zooxanthellae (Zoos from here forward). The Anemone provides a safe place for the algae to grow and survive, in exchange the anemone benefits from the oxygen and sugars

WK5fwLM.png

Ok that’s great but what does that have to do with feeding our anemones? Essentially the Zoos inside our nems are not limited by the amount of food we feed the host anemone. Now don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t mean our nems don’t “need” to eat. We all know something has to feed that Algae, usually some type of phosphate. Where many make the mistake is it has been observed and theorized that the Zoos get enough organics from the natural sea water environment that they don’t need to be fed to keep the Zoos at a stable level.

TGozxZw.png

Ok, but surely feeding your Anemone can have some benefit correct? The answer to that is yes. Essentially you can help speed up the growth of your Anemone with feeding, but there is a limit.

ZX1Kgzd.png

Ok so does it hurt to feed too much? The answer is nobody honestly knows, but essentially all you are doing is adding more ammonia to the tank which needs to be processed and the anemone and it’s hosted Zoos are gaining nothing from your feeding.

So at this point you’re probably asking yourself

“How often should you feed?”

I’ve personally not found the scientific or anecdotal evidence to give EXACT 100% accurate numbers, but here are the recommendations I would make:

If your only interest is to ensure your Anemone has enough N & P that the parameters of your tank are not inhibiting it’s growth, feed once a month.

aTPnmLv.png

If your intent is to grow the anemone and try to accelerate or at least fuel your anemone to the max to achieve best possible growth rates, feed once a week.

I’ll cover what to feed and how much in another post at a later time, but both science and testimonials of hobbyists tells us you don’t have to feed at all if you don’t want to AND you can definitely feed too much.

Source: A Biology of Sea Anemones by J. Malcom Shick

This article seems to be about aptasia, while I realize they are anemones, would all this info remain true for say quadricolor, mags, or condys?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back