Feeding

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how many times a day most of you feed your fish? I work 10+ hours a day so I only feed in the evening when I get home mostly frozen food 4-5 cubes, Fish and Corals all seem healthy. I don't want to overfeed or underfeed however I want the fish to stay healthy and grow I broadcast feed so the Fish and Corals all get to eat. Its 200 Gallons total water volume with 14 fish most of the fish are small juvenile's. Thank you.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have alexa/google enabled wifi smart feeders on Amazon for $22-$28. I added one and now I can feed my tank pellets whenever I want, from anywhere I am. I just need to pull out my phone, open the alexa app and say "alexa, feed the fish" boom, done, fish are fed. Can be set on a timer too, for daily feedings when you are gone or at work.

I feed 2 frozen meals each day, between getting home from work and going to bed.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I premake mine in large ninja mixing cups. I use multiple frozen foods with selcon.
Hakari frozen foods:
Qty-type
4-blood worms
4-Krill
3-Ocean plankton
5-mysis shrimp
2-Coral gumbo
3-Spirulina Brine Shrimp
4-Baby Brine Shrimp
5 drops-Selcon

I feed 2x daily, lunch time and around 8 pm. I give it a good shake and add 3-4 turkey baster blasts. The turkey baster is usually filled about halfway for each shot.
IMG_20211207_092419.jpg
IMG_20211207_092440.jpg

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I premake mine in large ninja mixing cups. I use multiple frozen foods with selcon.
Hakari frozen foods:
Qty-type
4-blood worms
4-Krill
3-Ocean plankton
5-mysis shrimp
2-Coral gumbo
3-Spirulina Brine Shrimp
4-Baby Brine Shrimp
5 drops-Selcon

I feed 2x daily, lunch time and around 8 pm. I give it a good shake and add 3-4 turkey baster blasts. The turkey baster is usually filled about halfway for each shot.
IMG_20211207_092419.jpg
IMG_20211207_092440.jpg
Nice!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I feed frozen twice a day by hand & my auto feeder feeds them once. I occasionally will feed another extra for fun. Lots of active fish :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed twice a day but then got my copperband and now feed 3- 4 times a day,I buy fresh clams/ oysters/scallops/etc then feeze them and pull out from freezer daily,as I read copperbands eat alot and fast metabolism so guess all depends on what fish is in my tank to what and how often I feed them.

I dont work so easy for me to feed 3-4 times a day,if working I may be tempted to adjust lights on tank accordingly so could have lights on tank cone on as I get up for work and feed then.and then feed after get home from work and possibly feed before tank lights go out if enough time inbetween feedings.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AMOUNT of food is extremely important to proper husbandry

Everything I've known for the last 20 years points to the amount of food fish can consume in under 5mins (roughly)

After 5mins if food is still floating around, tooooooooooooooo much food.

Past that I would say 2x a day is sufficient. AM and PM feedings.

Only active hyper fish require 2x feedings a day. Most fish can do quite well on 1x a day or every other day.

MAJOR MISTAKE OF THOUGHT = lots of food does NOT equal larger happier fish. Lots of food equals poisoning your tank with excess nutrients

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AMOUNT of food is extremely important to proper husbandry

Everything I've known for the last 20 years points to the amount of food fish can consume in under 5mins (roughly)

After 5mins if food is still floating around, tooooooooooooooo much food.

Past that I would say 2x a day is sufficient. AM and PM feedings. Only active hyper fish require 2x feedings a day. Most fish cab do quitecwell on 1x a day or every other day.

MAJOR MISTAKE OF THOUGHT = lots of food does NOT equal larger happier fish. Lots if food equals poisoning your tank with excess nutrients

Thanks for the info!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori sheet daily
1 frozen meal about 5-6 cubes or a 2x2” piece of LRS
1 dry meal of pellet mix (pe mysis,formula2,TDO
120g +20 fish

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have alexa/google enabled wifi smart feeders on Amazon for $22-$28. I added one and now I can feed my tank pellets whenever I want, from anywhere I am. I just need to pull out my phone, open the alexa app and say "alexa, feed the fish" boom, done, fish are fed. Can be set on a timer too, for daily feedings when you are gone or at work.

I feed 2 frozen meals each day, between getting home from work and going to bed.
Can you post a link to that feeder?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back