Fenbendazole

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be using this to treat my tank for hydroids:

Question is, how much to dose. I am reading that it should be 1.5 mg per gallon of water. And some say 100 mg per 10 gallon of water.
I'm sure somebody has experience with this treatment. I will be removing all snails and anemone during treatment and do more than the recommended 25% water change after 30 hours.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to my LFS, who regularly uses flubendazole (a very closely related compound with nearly identical activity) to prophalytically treat their fish and the dosage for flubendazole is 12 mg per gallon. I have not used it and cannot find much information on fenbendazole, but the few posts have a range of doses. I would start out with the lower dose of 1.5 mg per gallon. You can always increase the dose if you don't see an effect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to my LFS, who regularly uses flubendazole (a very closely related compound with nearly identical activity) to prophalytically treat their fish and the dosage for flubendazole is 12 mg per gallon. I have not used it and cannot find much information on fenbendazole, but the few posts have a range of doses. I would start out with the lower dose of 1.5 mg per gallon. You can always increase the dose if you don't see an effect.
That sounds like a good plan!
Guess i'll start with low dose and slowly work up until it works. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is correct. I said 10 mg per gallon, so 100 mg for 10 gallons. Sorry for any confusion.
ahhh no i read it wrong lol.
This is for freshwater. Im assuming it applies for reef tanks too?
I'll probably remove all snails I see and my anemones during the treatment just in case.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think you should remove all invertebrates. After the treatment is done (~3 days or whatever you think is best), I would add carbon to absorb the drug (don't use the cheap carbon that easily breaks and forms dust, but Rox0.8 as recommended by Randy (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html). The carbon should rapidly remove everything from the water column in 24 hours, but you might want to supplement with a water change before reintroducing invertebrates (if you're concerned about residual drug leaching out of rocks, etc.. you could introduce a couple of snails first).

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep i have rox in the reactor. I'll rerun once the treatment is done

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it can kill soft corals too. So if you have a bunch of those, I would remove them. I wouldn't want soft coral toxic soup.

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read zoas would be fine. But i guess mushrooms would suffer from it?

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided its not worth the risk and ive seen less numbers with less feeding.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help:

OP
OP
S

saltgogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still dont trust it lol.
I've sprayed some with aiptasia x before since it seems to kill whatever it touches and it seems to have worked for me.
I'm going to try kalkwasser paste to see if that works too since i'm running out of aiptasia x soon. If it doesn't work, i'll probably order more aiptasia x.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might help:

I did this treatment after watching your video. I have done my 25% and first 10% water change. My digitate hydroids are all retracted, but how will I know if they are dead? Do they fall off the rock?

@saltgogi, I was curious your experience since you mentioned a much higher dosage at 10mg per gallon vs 1.5mg per gallon per suggested in the fenbendazole vs hydroid thread.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back