JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love corner tanks I have a 92 gallon corner tank and love it

C3E56FE8-162C-4C72-8C95-A7EE8A28F2AA.jpeg
I love them too!!! Nice scape. Love that stand and canopy!

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, dreaded dinos! It’s been a battle for sure!
We are really close with flow! I’ve found most of the dead spots in the far left and right corners. I suppose you could add a couple more powerheads pointed directly in those corners to keep detritus suspended. I tell you what though. I had to look for a long time before finding a sump that would work in this stand! Lol. It’s a little tight down there! And had to build cabinets next to the stand for the ATO reservoir and dosing pumps. And also had to modify how the lights are set up. Most manufactures don’t gear their stuff for corner tanks! You have to be creative. Haha.

Yes, I actually have a whole DIY section for that part. Maybe you will be interested.

Brewers best

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is great to see setups that share your footprint. I have just finished cycling my 54 corner. It is the size that worked best for the area we had. I am following and cannot wait to see updates. Good luck!

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is great to see setups that share your footprint. I have just finished cycling my 54 corner. It is the size that worked best for the area we had. I am following and cannot wait to see updates. Good luck!

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, jsut got back from a week vacation... and the tank is great, so first test passed!

Will post pictures soon. Thanks for following.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a while since I posted.

The tank went through its first major challenge.

It all started 3 months ago, when I decided to use Vibrant.

This was a mistake, not because of the product itself, which worked as stated, but because I did not account for the trace nitrate and phosphate I had. Vibrant bacteria consumed the little nitrate in the tank, leading to a severe Dino (otreopsys) outbreak.

THus I stopped using Vibrant, started the dirty method (and dosing Brightwell's nitrate and PO4).... and after 3 weeks it turned into a cyanobacteria outbreak. Good! But I did lose corals in the process....

So, the cyanobacteria I can treat: Chemiclean, 1 dose. See the next 3 pictures: Day 0, 1 and 2. (And the expected foaming). All that is left in to do a water change. No loses here (so far).

20200910_173756.jpg 20200910_173752.jpg 20200911_163031.jpg 20200912_123224.jpg

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I realize it has been a little while since I posted.

The ordeal continued this year with the sps dying off gor no apparent reason.... unyil my ICP test came back.

The ICP (fauna marin) showed high levels of aluminium amd antimony.

I removed a rusty refugium light...but then found a thread talking about the UV light green killing machine from AA. So I removed that as well and did a 60% water change. The coral reacted immediately with better extension and no other cpral died. Will keep an eye on this and send another icp in a few months.

For now, i run carbon and cuprisorb in the sump and do regular water changes.

20201110_190752.jpg 20201110_190814.jpg

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! happy to see that someone actually reads my posts lol.
Don’t worry man, I read your post also!!! Lol!!
Glad you’re getting things back in check. Dinos are zero fun!!!! Cyano is a cake walk to deal with in comparison. The struggle is real with these dang dinos though. I dealt with Amphidinium and Ostreopsis both. Finally broke down and bought a decent microscope. Been dosing No3 and Po4 for months now. Once I got some green algae growth going to out compete, they disappeared. Well, not disappeared, I know they’re still there. Just waiting for the right conditions again to rear their ugly head again. Lol!!!

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry man, I read your post also!!! Lol!!
Glad you’re getting things back in check. Dinos are zero fun!!!! Cyano is a cake walk to deal with in comparison. The struggle is real with these dang dinos though. I dealt with Amphidinium and Ostreopsis both. Finally broke down and bought a decent microscope. Been dosing No3 and Po4 for months now. Once I got some green algae growth going to out compete, they disappeared. Well, not disappeared, I know they’re still there. Just waiting for the right conditions again to rear their ugly head again. Lol!!!

Thanks.

I am now realizing the short-coming of my rock design. I understand why you went with an empty center zone. Initially, the initial centerpiece was supposed to be an island, but with time the birdnest growing there just cast shadows on the front. I need to think of a better placement.

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya bro! I have a92 corner...so i like to check out anything corner related.

OP
OP
Fernthereefer

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I decided it was time to move the center rock piece back. It may seem easy, but it took me an hour and a half. Had two corals detach (and a pain to put back). Almost lost my fire shrimp that was hidden in a rock I temporary placed in a bin for cutting dead sps.

Here are the results.....and two new coral additions...

Attachments

• 20201205_180947.jpg
    20201205_180947.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201205_181109.jpg
    20201205_181109.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201205_181244.jpg
    20201205_181244.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 42

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back