Few questions about BTA

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I understand it's more about the placement of the wavemakers itself but wanting to undertand if it is better using wave or sine mode? Wave mode is on then off and so on, whilst Sine mode is on all the time but gradually increasing flow then gradually decreasing flow.
  2. Does it sting human hand? If I am going to take it out of the plastic bag, do i need to wear gloves?
images

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. Do they like full blown direct SPS kinda flow or soft blow indirect?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I understand it's more about the placement of the wavemakers itself but wanting to undertand if it is better using wave or sine mode? Wave mode is on then off and so on, whilst Sine mode is on all the time but gradually increasing flow then gradually decreasing flow.
  2. Does it sting human hand? If I am going to take it out of the plastic bag, do i need to wear gloves?
BTA's won't sting your hands like carpets anemones.

When you get one / gently hold it's food down with all pumps off, for about five mins. to the place that you like. Make sure the foot is fully secure before tuning flow back on. If you have inside pumps, I'd keep them off for about 24 hours, so the BTA does not get chopped up inside the impeller, in case it roams.

You put it where you want it, but in the end it will find the happy spot in your reef, that it likes :)

If it hides right out the gate, please leave it alone. It will come back out when it's ready. Moving it will just stress it out even more.

To me they like all kinds of flow. I run my gyre on pulse mode.
I may have been lucky, but mine has not moved in over two years.

Here's a link if you want to read up. Kinda funky site and need to click the "More" tab at times.
http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Noted, thanks!

When you get one / gently hold it's food down with all pumps off, for about five mins. to the place that you like. Make sure the foot is fully secure before tuning flow back on.

Yeap I get this part.

If you have inside pumps, I'd keep them off for about 24 hours, so the BTA does not get chopped up inside the impeller, in case it roams.

This part I am a bit confused; so are you suggesting that all wavemakers to be switched off for the 1st 24 hours? Wouldn't this have adverse impact to the other tank inhabitants? But I do understand the objective of this as per your statement there .. to make sure that it settles down well within that 24 hours period.

If it hides right out the gate, please leave it alone. It will come back out when it's ready. Moving it will just stress it out even more.

Yeap fully understood!

I run my gyre on pulse mode.

What is Pulse mode on Gyre? Is that On and Off? or is that constantly on but with different flow rate?

Here's a link if you want to read up. Kinda funky site and need to click the "More" tab at times.
http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

Hahaha good ol KarenRose .. yes .. I've read this in the past but since am reviving my interest in Anemones, I will read up again .. thanks @GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted, thanks!

This part I am a bit confused; so are you suggesting that all wavemakers to be switched off for the 1st 24 hours? Wouldn't this have adverse impact to the other tank inhabitants? But I do understand the objective of this as per your statement there .. to make sure that it settles down well within that 24 hours period.

What is Pulse mode on Gyre? Is that On and Off? or is that constantly on but with different flow rate?@GoVols

Yeah,
Some reefers put sponges around their pumps until their BTA's settle in. That way if they're roaming when first introduced, they won't get chopped up by the impellers. I think you can buy safety sponges for MP flow pumps.

Gyre Pulse mode:
Runs a very slight flow then cranks it up to how strong and the length you want it. Almost like total off and back on flow pattern.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre Pulse mode:
Runs a very slight flow then cranks it up to how strong and the length you want it. Almost like total off and back on flow pattern.

Cool, looks like Sine mode in Jebao Wavemaker.

Some reefers put sponges around their pumps until their BTA's settle in. That way if they're roaming when first introduced, they won't get chopped up by the impellers. I think you can buy safety sponges for MP flow pumps.

Ok, i'll figure out way to cover up my wavemakers .. at one stage in the past (this was like 2 years back), i covered all my wavemakers with dressing (the one that you use to cover open woound) but it doesn't last haha .. wasn't a total failure but definitely won't last long .. I need to figure out way to do it better this time.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key operative word here should be "typically"... they can sting. If you have small ones by foot, then you'll minimize chances... big ones, and you may get stung...

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key operative word here should be "typically"... they can sting. If you have small ones by foot, then you'll minimize chances... big ones, and you may get stung...

I find it more like a slight irritation. My hand is fine, but forearm sometimes gets red if I brush up against it too long.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good YouTube video on BTA... if you have 20mins, worth a watch...

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoCrazed watched that couple of times hahaha perhaps the reason why I wanted an anemone as my centerpiece for my 2 foot cube .. but we all know, want vs reality will always be different LOL

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back