FFM Stolen Clam...

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, last night when we were cleaning up and my students were grabbing the corals that they had purchased and stored in my greenhouse system, one of them noticed that his Maxima clam was missing. The poor kid, who is really just getting into reefing, dropped all of his money that he made selling frags (from the 10 gallon next to mine), on his first clam, a beautiful blue Maxima. He was SUPER excited about getting the clam and then when he went to bring it home, someone walked off with it. I would like to think that someone did it on accident and if they did would be happy to return the clam to its rightful owner. If someone took the clam, that really sucks to steal a clam from a young reefer, or anyone for that matter. I am usually impressed with the honesty and generosity of the reefing people, but every once in a while I run into something that makes me wonder.

If anyone knows anything about the missing clam, please shoot me a PM. I don't want to turn this into a big thing but would like to get his clam back to him if I could. I don't want the student to feel like this is not a "safe" community to be a part of.
Thanks.
-Jon

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon I wasn't there and I hate to hear about this kind of garbage ..........if the person who did this doesn't give it back(probably won't ) I will throw a few bucks this kids way to help get him a new one perhaps some will join me.....

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a miserable way to end an otherwise awesome day of frag hunting, especially for a young student/reefer working his butt off for that clam. I'm with RWinfrey and will gladly donate funds to purchase a new clam if his is not returned. Keep us updated and please don't hesitate to PM me. The offer stands indefinitely.

shayna123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shameful!!!! I am so sorry Fitch. For all you do to put this event on, which we all know is a tremendous amount of work, and you do it for the love of reefing but more so for the love of your students. We all wish we had more teachers like you in our schools and I know how much your students love you. I am sure your heart was broken for the kid. And I am sure your personally felt violated too, the truth is whoever did this thought they were stealing from you! It just makes it even more sad that it was actually stolen from a student. Bruno & I would also like to help restore the students faith in our reefing community, which is a generous and honest group of people. who go out of their way to help support each other.

DarkTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awful. If he's near Enfield swing by for some free frags...

drsalomon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag table was setup next to the student and he was so excited to setup a frag booth for the first time. To see the look on his face when the clam walked away was heartbreaking. Your reef friends from rhode island and OSRAS would also like to help to buy this student a new clam or some frags or anything else you can think of.

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So upsetting to hear this. I really hope that this was some kind of honest mistake. The reefing community usually is a very honest and caring crowd, but I guess there is always one..

I also would like to donate to help this up and coming reef enthusiast.

Aqua-Dreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately i had run out of them by the end of the day, those were very limited supply- however, my cocos island maximas will be back in stock within the next few weeks, and I'll happily pick him out another beauty. darn shame that a dark cloud has descended on the ffm, hopefully it was an error- but unfortunately some people were not raised correctly and don't respect others. Lets turn lemons into lemonade and get this student what he rightfully deserved, earned and paid for.

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately i had run out of them by the end of the day, those were very limited supply- however, my cocos island maximas will be back in stock within the next few weeks, and I'll happily pick him out another beauty. darn shame that a dark cloud has descended on the ffm, hopefully it was an error- but unfortunately some people were not raised correctly and don't respect others. Lets turn lemons into lemonade and get this student what he rightfully deserved, earned and paid for.

That's awesome and generous Chris!

icycoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that just sucks! If it doesn't turn up I suggest a gofundme to raise $ for a replacement. I would gladly contribute what I can to help him get a new one. (X-posted)

GobyWanKenobie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left my cooler unattended several times. It never dawned on me that someone might take it. I always think of fellow hobbiests as good people not thieves. What a shame.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a shame that it walked away and one could only hope that karma catches up to that individual that walked off with it. However by the responses in this thread it shows that there are many more great people in this hobby. If he's interested I have a snowflake clown I can donate to the cause. Together we can turn this negative experience into a positive one

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to see that such a negative experience is turning around to be quite a positive one. Kudos to Aqua-Dreams for offering to go above and beyond to make it right. I'd gladly donate some frags as well.

Last edited:

chris82079

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have much yet to donate but i definitely have a few bucks to help him out!! That sucks so bad!

TCR2505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TCR is very upset to hear that someone would take someone elses property from FFM >>>To the young man who purchased the maxima clam>>>>TCR has 2 small Blue maxima clams and would love to give you one FREE of charge..
Just let us know and we will hold one for you.....

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to see everyone coming together to turn this situation around! What a great group of folks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back