Fighting Conch in a 14G?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reefing and a little overwhelmed by the amount of conflicting information out there.

I wanted a Nassarius Snail when I got my Clownfish to help clean up with any uneaten food. My LFS doesn't carry them but instead offers fighting conchs which they deem superior for that purpose. They noted 1 would be fine for a 14G. When I got home I started researching, and found much conflicting information about what tank size is needed. Some sites say 30G or 50G is the minimum. Others say they are fine for nanos. He's pretty small now (about 1 - 1.5 inches), but I understand it will likely double in size.

Any thoughts about tank size conchs?

As a side note, he is really cool, and I enjoy seeing his eyes pop up from the sand as he moves around the substraight.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean I personally would go for it and don't really see an issue. at that size in that tank it shouldn't be too bad. I have a 15g and wanted to get one but currently overstocked a bit so will have to wait till I get my bigger tank set up. Provided there is enough room in the sand bed and not a ton of rocks everywhere, I think it is an ok addition.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided there is enough room in the sand bed and not a ton of rocks everywhere, I think it is an ok addition.

I feel like there is enough sand. He can burry himself completely if he wants to. A couple of pictures...

Conch.jpg Tank Shot.jpg

Last edited:

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice tank! it should be fine and if he seems to grow and get crammed, there are options to rehouse it if you wanted to if the time comes

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like inverts while I have 1 or 2 of these I like the diversity. Trochus, nassarius, dwarf nassarius, cerith, dwarf cerith, mexican turbo, scarlet hermit, electric hermit, pitho crab, pistol shrimp, micro bristle star

hitchhikers: Stomatella, limpets, bristle worm (too many)
lost: Cleaner shrimp, Astraea

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware though that he will get huge. I have one thats probably 6 inches long, 4 inches high. He's in a 55g and with live rock it seems small for him.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, mine is not the fighting. I believe it's a tiger which stay much smaller. Something to consider.
yes totally depends on the species.... mine is a florida fighting conch.
Most places when you buy the fighting conch they SAY they only get to be 3 or 4 inches, mine is already significantly larger than that, not sure when he'll stop growing

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be sure you have sufficient sand base. They spend 99% of their time under the sand with just their feeding snorkle showing.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Florida Fighting Conch in my ten gallon I have lots of rock and she seems to be vibing. If she starts really looking for food I’ll feed her some nori or put a few pellets in front of her.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Florida Fighting Conch in my ten gallon I have lots of rock and she seems to be vibing. If she starts really looking for food I’ll feed her some nori or put a few pellets in front of her.
Good to know. I really like the conch. For a while it was very active in the tank. Now I hardly see it

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I really like the conch. For a while it was very active in the tank. Now I hardly see it
Yeah, mine doesn’t disappear because she doesn’t like to bury herself. But she does go dormant for a few weeks before being active for a day or two then going dormant again. I’ve heard this from people before but no-one knows what it means.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back