Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
This is the Fiji cube 38g AIO
NERO 5 powerheadx1
Radian xr15 g5 BLUEx1
Heater is just a typical brand from fish store
pump came with tank unsure of brand

My question is how does this light setup look to you guys. I don't know what set up to use in terms ofight settings and if the placement is good (this is the most to the center I could get). Any general advice and thoughts of course needed. Thank you!
20210808_084953.jpg

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re definitely pushing the limit with an xr15, As the display is 30x16x16 roughly. I have this tank and a 6 bulb t5 24” works great. If you want low light corals it’ll be good enough, but sps you’ll want another unit to increase coverage. Or 2 ai primes, or t5s or reefbreeders, there’s many options. You can think of the tank as 2 15 inch cubes next to each other

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re definitely pushing the limit with an xr15, As the display is 30x16x16 roughly. I have this tank and a 6 bulb t5 24” works great. If you want low light corals it’ll be good enough, but sps you’ll want another unit to increase coverage. Or 2 ai primes, or t5s or reefbreeders, there’s many options. You can think of the tank as 2 15 inch cubes next to each other
Hmmm I was told it should be enough to cover it all, what do you recommend I do?

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I was told it should be enough to cover it all, what do you recommend I do?
either get another one or get a different light. the XR15 isn't a bad light, the spread just isn't suited at all to the fijicube 38 peninsula shape.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either get another one or get a different light. the XR15 isn't a bad light, the spread just isn't suited at all to the fijicube 38 peninsula shape.
Hmmm I am prob just doing LPS/softies and then 1-2 SPS in the future. Would it not be enough for that? Also if I do need another light and I can't hang it from the ceiling whats the best way to hook up more lighting while keeping the front glass clean

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a grave error I meant to say I have an XR30. I am sorry about the confusion

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a grave error I meant to say I have an XR30. I am sorry about the confusion.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to your lighting question, but you mention having a typical heater. I would consider a heating controller for added protection. Maybe even two! This is a very common point of failure and often catastrophic. I don't get the impression you're skimping on your equipment. Do some searches about heater failures and you'll be sold pretty quickly!

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to your lighting question, but you mention having a typical heater. I would consider a heating controller for added protection. Maybe even two! This is a very common point of failure and often catastrophic. I don't get the impression you're skimping on your equipment. Do some searches about heater failures and you'll be sold pretty quickly!
Interesting! Do you recommend one? And price isn't something I'm concerned about that is correct haha. I have the:

Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater​

Last edited:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Do you recommend one? And price isn't something I'm concerned about that is correct haha. The thing with the heater is it's a $40 heater the store recommend. It's the glass tube it's a high quality brand I am just struggling to remember the name I have had it for a little while now.
I'm guessing it's an Eheim. I personally use two(for more failure redundancy) in my AIO on a Ranco Controller. I intend to put the Ranco behind an aquarium controller eventually. Like an Apex, Hydros, Reefpi, etc.

Eheims have their own thermostat, which is one layer of protection. My Ranco also has a thermostat and controls when the Eheim turns on, which is another layer if the Eheim fails in the on position. If the Ranco fails in the on position, the Eheim thermostat should prevent failure. If everything fails at once in the on position, then f me.

Inkbird is another popular, more budget friendly option. Simple reefpi setups are affordable, but more DIY. Then there's full fledged controllers like an Apex, Hydros, or GHL which is quite a bit more of an investment.

OP
OP
N

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing it's an Eheim. I personally use two(for more failure redundancy) in my AIO on a Ranco Controller. I intend to put the Ranco behind an aquarium controller eventually. Like an Apex, Hydros, Reefpi, etc.

Eheims have their own thermostat, which is one layer of protection. My Ranco controls when the Eheim turns on, which is another layer if the Eheim fails in the on position. If the Ranco fails in the on position, the Eheim thermostat should prevent failure. If everything fails at once in the on position, then f me.

Inkbird is another popular, more budget friendly option. Simple reefpi setups are affordable, but more DIY. Then there's full fledged controllers like an Apex, Hydros, or HGL which is quite a bit more of an investment.
Awesome advice thank you! Yeah mine is a

Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater. Great reviews on it but no digital adjustments just a dial.​

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome advice thank you! Yeah mine is a

Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater. Great reviews on it but no digital adjustments just a dial.​

Happy to help! I recently bought a Tunze DC 9004 skimmer locally from a guy leaving the hobby. His heater cooked his 40 breeder. Threads pop up each month on R2R. It's my least favorite thread to read. Hits me in the gut every time.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made a grave error I meant to say I have an XR30. I am sorry about the confusion.
I was wondering if you meant that haha. Yeah an xr30 will suit your lps/softies on the sides, sps in the middle goals nicely. If you want even more coverage down the line an aquatic life t5 hybrid could work, but not necessary unless you wanna do more sps

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back