Fiji Cube 22 External Overflow Build

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous setup 2Sunny!!

Quick question for you: Is your Fiji stand an exact fit on it's stand?

I ordered and this past weekend finally received my Fiji Cube 38 Peninsula and it's corresponding stand. After assembling the stand, I realized that the tank edges hang over the sides of the stand, meaning the width is about a half inch or so shorter than the tank. With the doors attached, it's the same width, but the doors don't support the tank. Even the leveling mat would hang over the edge. I'm not very comfortable the tank will get support like this, but was wondering if your stand was similar and I'm just being paranoid?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous setup 2Sunny!!

I ordered and this past weekend finally received my Fiji Cube 38 Peninsula and it's corresponding stand. After assembling the stand, I realized that the tank edges hang over the sides of the stand, meaning the width is about a half inch or so shorter than the tank. With the doors attached, it's the same width, but the doors don't support the tank. Even the leveling mat would hang over the edge. I'm not very comfortable the tank will get support like this, but was wondering if your stand was similar and I'm just being paranoid?
This is normal. Even My Waterbox 230.6 was this way, and i believe the RSR is the same. There is VERY little, if any down force on the side pieces of the tank. As long as the bottom piece is supported there will be no issue.

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year update. Took out a bunch of stuff and added the anemone. The larger clown was harassing the goni and her partner so I banished her to the basement sump. Love the anemone's color. So far it hasn't killed anything with it's wandering, but we shall see . . . oh and I went with 2 AI Primes instead of my old Hydra. Much easier to control with the new WiFi tech versus the old Director controlled Hydra. Also, can't believe how clean the sand bed is staying. Not sure why. It's pristine clean after one year and I haven't touched it once since I put it in. I do have a Fighting Conch that is working on it day and night, but I've had them before without the same result so not sure. My best guess is that the sand bed is biologically active with lots of microscopic critters because I used "oolitic" sand and not the larger grain common today. Very old school stuff harking back to the Ron Shimek days on RC.

IMG_0974.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous setup 2Sunny!!

So sorry I missed this back in January, but yeah what Ip said :)

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on getting my old photo skills back in tune. Somehow just can't quite seem to get back to 100%. Not sure if it's me or the equipment or both. For comparison I'm including a photo from a decade ago. Anyways, meet Fred and BadJaw :D Fred likes leftover food, algae of any kind and, generally loves detritus of all types. His turnoffs appear to be just Mr. Crab who sometimes harasses him by trying to pick algae off his back. BadJaw is a loner and a homebody who likes blood worms and mysis, but is turned off by most any other fish.

Fred.jpg
BadJaw.jpg

Clown.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy that these guys are still alive, but after a whole year I've had no growth. I did skip feeding them for many, many months and only just resumed Reefroids weekly last month, so hopefully 2021 will be a little better for growth.

Acans.jpg

Last edited:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Love my fijicube nano also, yours is stunning with that anemone and very nice pics, thanks for sharing!
One thing I ended doing with my sump Was ditch the oversized skimmer but will look into this ghost one you got, do you still like it?

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, I lost my first attempt at a piece of Pink Boo-bee chalice, but happily I was able to buy a second larger piece from the same EBay grower. Too bad this one's more orange than pink. Maybe, it will change slightly for me :)

PinkBoobie.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Love my fijicube nano also, yours is stunning with that anemone and very nice pics, thanks for sharing!
One thing I ended doing with my sump Was ditch the oversized skimmer but will look into this ghost one you got, do you still like it?
Yeah, absolutely love it still. Very, very easy to clean and gets tons of goop everyday.
Skimmer.jpg

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some quick growth early with the zoas, but then nothing. Again hopefully my resuming Reefroids will make the difference. Actually, truth be told I also let the alkalinity fall for a couple months to below 6 dKh, and I'm sure that impacted coral growth in the tank as well. Kinda lucky I didn't lose anything beside the pink chalice piece. I also wonder how the feathers reproduce. In my main tank they mulitply, albeit very slowly, but they do multiply. So far I've only got the two in the nano.

Zoas.jpg
Feathers.jpg

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get a portrait of the tanks recluse, Ted, when low and behold I found I still have the evil Asterina stars in the reef. I hired a couple BumbleBee snails to take care of them, and I thought they'd won the battle, but looks like I might have to enlist the help of my heavy hitter the Harlequin living in my main display. Maybe first I'll try another Bumblebee . . . hmm.

Ted.jpg

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had this most odd behavior with my anemone a week ago. It let go and was floating freely in the water column just spinning around. My best guess after reading online was that it wasn't happy with either the flow or the light and "let go" to try and float to a better location. Increased flow was no problem as I have my return pump dialed to the lowest possible setting so all I needed to do was dial in more flow, but light's were already maxed out and the PAR reading on the bottom where the anemone seems to prefer was about 170. Luckily I remembered that the lights could be lowered, BUT . . .

I have 2 AI Primes on a 22 gallon tank. Honestly, I really thought that for a tank that was 18 x18 x 17 1 AI Prime would be enough for anything. I bought a second just because I wanted a symmetrical look not because I felt the light from 1 AI was insufficient for the corals and anemone I had, but now I'm thinking I really do need 2 AI Primes. The light is now set as low as possible and I read a PAR at the sand of 250. So far the anemone has stayed put so hopefully the increase in flow and light did the trick. I should add one caveat though. I am maxed out on the blues, but I only have the whites at 5% so I could have upped the whites for more PAR as well, but I bought the Primes so I could have that "blue" LED look on this tank so upping the white channel isn't really a thought I had.

Anyways, just wanted to share my latest thoughts :)

FTS.nano.4.26.21.jpg

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the irony of ironies I took out the clown for whom I created the nano and banished him to my refugium because he was beating up the tiny companion that I put in as a potential partner. Inorder to catch the bugger I took out all the aquascape and had a chance to start over. I think I like the new look way better. Ordered some yellow zoas as well to put on the left side. Can't wait to see them :)

IMG_1001.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back