Fiji Cube AIO Return Pump question

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I made what I am sure is a super common mistake for new reefers, thinking I could save some money by doing everything DIY for my first reef tank. It was a valuable learning experience but after battling near constant algae blooms, fluctuating params and an unsightly set up I bit the bullet and upgraded to a Fiji Cube 20g AIO Peninsula tank. So far, so good:

I am hoping for guidance on one thing though. I am having trouble getting the flow rate correct for the system. My two main concerns here are 1) the pump is much louder than it should be and 2) I ended up moving my heater into the DT because the water level in the return chamber kept dropping.

Does anyone have any ideas for what adjustments I can try out? This is a really noob question but does closing the intake aperture on the pump increase or decrease the flow?

EDIT: Just did some poking around and I think part of the problem may be loose Chaeto from the fuge compartment blocking up the outflow into the return compartment. Anyone else dealt with a similar issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water in return dropping: add more water so it stays at the proper level. Add an ATO so when water evaporates, it stays at the proper level.

pump: make sure it’s level, and if it has rubber feet, that those are on to reduce vibration.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kev,

My concern is if the problem seems to be the flow of water from the fuge compartment into the return compartment, wouldn't adding more water just increase the level in the DT, instead of the return compartment?

Upvote 0

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kev,

My concern is if the problem seems to be the flow of water from the fuge compartment into the return compartment, wouldn't adding more water just increase the level in the DT, instead of the return compartment?
I can’t see the video that was attached. But I’m assuming it’s similar to any other AIO. Adding more water will first fill up the return section and not the display.

Upvote 0

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem with my waterbox AIO. Since the pump is in that chamber the water evaporation impacts that area the most. I had my heater melt it’s plastic cap because I didn’t realize the water level got so low. Unfortunately every few days you’ll have to add water in that back chamber. It’s just the nature of the tank. But make sure any filter socks, sponges, or intakes are clear because it’ll allow more water to flow through.

Upvote 0

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem with my waterbox AIO. Since the pump is in that chamber the water evaporation impacts that area the most. I had my heater melt it’s plastic cap because I didn’t realize the water level got so low. Unfortunately every few days you’ll have to add water in that back chamber. It’s just the nature of the tank. But make sure any filter socks, sponges, or intakes are clear because it’ll allow more water to flow through.
An ATO would avoid that 100%.

it’s a hidden cost, but all SW tanks should have an ATO IMO.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes Sense, Thanks Bamboozle!

Upvote 0

obaptista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a JbJ 15 glass panel. All the same issues. Heater in pump chamber is fire hazard. I have an ATO but ATOs fail. I placed a filter floss pad under the pump. It quieted it a bit. If you need to throttle the pump because it overpowers the compartments and you've checked for restrictions like dirty sponges/floss, you may consider a two little fishies valve. It's easier to get to than the throttle on the pump. HTH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a JbJ 15 glass panel. All the same issues. Heater in pump chamber is fire hazard. I have an ATO but ATOs fail. I placed a filter floss pad under the pump. It quieted it a bit. If you need to throttle the pump because it overpowers the compartments and you've checked for restrictions like dirty sponges/floss, you may consider a two little fishies valve. It's easier to get to than the throttle on the pump. HTH
Thanks!!

Upvote 0

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fiji Cube 20 and I use a nano topoff system to keep the water level steady in the return chamber.

Attachments

• topoff.jpg
    topoff.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

JoeAquarium39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your pump? Really loud and rattling from day 1? Mine is and I contacted Fiji Cube twice and I never heard back. Let me know if my pump is...normal...

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back